Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it....?  (Read 1410 times)
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 12:50:43 PM »

Noodnick is the Russian term for "bothersome individual"
Noodge is the yiddish term for "Noodnick", essentially they're redundant, one in the same.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 02:09:12 PM »

Thank you. <g>

Lon

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 07:07:11 AM »

Oh, Boo Hoo Hoo!

Get a life kiddies (OM) and get on the airwaves. Non-productive keystrokes whilst you could be chasing DX.

RADIOHEAD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 10:08:41 PM »

Warning: Rated N4OC [ Not 4 Ol' Cranks] Reader discretion is advised..

Scott,

Worry not. Some hams I've run into are geeks that get off on being rude and throwing their weight around. These are the ones with delusions of grandeur, a few bad apples nonetheless. After all, they are "experts" and you're a measly novice. They'll make fun of your spelling, mock you for what you wrote and, essentially, act in the most immature way possible, all because they have no valid retort. One can see that by the responses above.

PS: If at all possible, try to either stay away from old cranks or find a hobby that has a younger member body.
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 11:37:09 PM »

Yeah Scott, Worry not. Just stay the way you are. Don't improve. Maintain the status quo. Public education did the best they could, now it's time to coast, no need to better yourself. No need for peer review either, of course that cuts both ways. Sort of like "give a review...get a review".

Good luck in life.
K0RNY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 02:58:57 AM »

Scott, I have been licensed since 1992(former call N8TQJ)and I want to clarify something for you: I am not a ham radio operator. I am a scanner/shortwave/11 meter operator who holds a ham license. That should tell you a lot.

To speak in generality, these are humans you are dealing with. You find the haughty, separatist mentality that leavens ham radio in all close associations, your workplace, churches, school, etc. It's there in the scanning community, was in CB when there was a CB, the shortwave community. It's been there since they shoveled dirt on Marconi and will continue only as long as the newbies want to conform to be accepted. If you attended public or private school you know the stratified playground society.

Because the federal govt' licenses hams many think they have a mandate to be one up on the evolutionary scale(if there was one) and be known as HamoSapiens. Like the Masons, who make good men better, there are good men and then there are "better" men. Like a religious cult, they "shun" people they don't like and are the least American in spirit: they don't tolerate dissent, criticism, and when they don't have the wits to honestly counter your points you bring up, they pull seniority on you and criticise your spelling, which is a non sequetor to the message, and many hams can be picked out in a crowd from edema of the elbow from slapping each other on the back.

In August of 2000 I received an award through the local radio club for helping find an autistic child who had wandered off, 10 days later I get a notice that I refused to sign for from Rocky Humpywort for retest filed by the same club, who was allegedly having problems offering an accurate audit of finances to the members. I learned only of the retest from my own cult following, who heard it from the busybodies at NEWSLINE. At the behest of my friends I retested, and have not been active since then, due largely to theft of equipment.

My advice is to find people most like you and ignore the cultists. Like any endeavor. You'll make the most friends on DX, people who just want to talk radio, and not cause you to have to wear KEVLAR on your back.

So my friend, let's sit back and enjoy the fireworks. This message is dedicated to my friend and brother, Fred Lehman WD8MGO, who himself was not a stranger to backwounds. Fred was a scanner ARTIST, and published the link frequencies to all the local repeaters, a great aid in tracking jammers, and was fired from his column after the locals twisted the arms of the magazine and club, illegally claiming they had "proprietary rights" to even knowledge of the frequencies. We used to call those people "bullies" on the playground. Fred died a lonely and painful death, he collapsed at his front door going to work of undiagnosed Crohn's Disease. Fred has been avenged in the sense that VHF/repeater activity in the Dayton Ohio area is dead.

Enjoy ham radio Scott, it's your hobby too just as much as any other. We only have a short stay on earth and remember what rocker Ted Nugent said: At one point you are born, at another you die, in between kick maximum %$#.

73 my friend, and welcome to AMATEUR radio.

Corny
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 03:07:12 AM »

yawn.....
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »

BRAVO!!
K0RNY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »

RE: Why is it....?  Reply  
by DROLLTROLL on May 14, 2006  
yawn.....  

Is this why you are so droll, Troll?

You let us know when you wake up.
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 11:26:15 PM »

Oxford English Dictionary

droll  
adj. droll�er, droll�est

Amusingly odd or whimsically comical.
K0RNY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 09:54:25 PM »

Thank you for the definitions, and for waking up:) Are you a ham? It's the most fun and enjoyment you ever had in your life, has been for me, and though some view it as running the Shawnee gauntlet sometimes, I find the little spitfests some hams throw wryly humorous. So, join the conversation and let us know what you think, little drive-by comments are frequently ignored and don't get your view across.

Corny
KC9GUZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »

Not all hams are stuck up, snooty, old prudes..
yeah sure there are a few here and there but most of the hams i know are pretty OK guys.. I get along with everyone.. i dont agree with a lot of the stuff thats said at our club meetings but I look at things in an open light.
I must say this though, and please dont get offended. If you come off to the older guys as a know it all, cocky teenager, no they will not want to talk to you. I probably wouldnt either. Just give the older guys a benefit of a dought and im sure eventually they will come around.. I have made friends with several of the OF's in my club, and they are great. I look to them for advice and help when needed, and they never have batted an eye. In fact one of the guys loaned me a CW keyer so I can practice sending code along with my receiving practice and it has helped. Good luck and 73..........
KC9KHG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »

Don't fret...like other people have said,talk to the people that treat you with respect and treat them the same way.The longer you're a ham the more REAL hams you'll meet. We have the same thing around here(Chicago)that you do...we call them JERKS!!! Have  fun with your new hobby and welcome!
Randy KC9KHG
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: