Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listen to ham radio live on the web...  (Read 2296 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »

Queens New York WB2HWW repeater system.

http://www.wb2hww.com/

Anyone know any other amateur radio web sites with streaming audio? Let's start a list...

Mike N6HBJ
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:25:38 PM »

Two questions ...

Why should I, a licensed ham, want to listen to amateur radio transmissions over the internet? I can listen to all I want on my radios.

Why should I care about transmissions on a two meter repeater up in New York when I have several dozen in this neck of the woods that I can listen to?

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:49:57 AM »

N6HBJ - Mike,

The point you were trying to make got lost when you used profanity.  Please refrain from doing so. There are always other words you can use.  IMO, a more subtle approach would have been more effective.  

Everyone, it's far better to restrict your comments to the original question and not get into personal attacks.

But y'all knew that.

See, and I didn't even take sides. ;-)

Mike N2MG
webmaster
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:00:42 PM »

N2MG wrote,
"N6HBJ - Mike,

The point you were trying to make got lost when you used profanity. Please refrain from doing so. There are always other words you can use. IMO, a more subtle approach would have been more effective.

Everyone, it's far better to restrict your comments to the original question and not get into personal attacks.

But y'all knew that.

See, and I didn't even take sides. ;-)

Mike N2MG
webmaster"
-----------------------
Mike,

Why are you being so polite to N6HBJ? Considering the language he used and the fact that you are the webmaster of eHam, why are you ASKING him to "Please refrain from doing so."? As the webmaster, you should be TELLING him that future use of language of that type will result in PERMANENT revocation of privileges on eHam.

It is YOUR website and you SHOULD take sides especially when it comes to maintaining the decency of this site.

Scott N0IU

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

"LK"    Not all of us have radios where we might want to listen but have a PC present.

"HBJ"   On the second question you posted in your reply to "LK", (albeit perhaps inappropriate) I think  your spellcheck isn't working ?  
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

Sir:

The questions were not negative. The were asking why anyone should be interested. If you took them as negative, that is YOUR problem.

And, Sir, I resent the vile, profane name calling. I said nothing that warranted such profanity! I would love to have you try saying those words to my face!!!

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »

The questions were not retorical; there were valid questions. That you didn't like them is YOUR problem. I made no disparging remarks about the concept you are espousing.

And I have learned over the years that those who engage in personal attacks and profanity are woefully deficient in social skills, as you have just proven.

BTW, a formal complaint has been filed with the eHam forum manager over your profanity and personal attack.

As for coming to see you, I wouldn't waste the time.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 09:28:32 AM »

Nice go at making a first impression Mike.

I personally wouldn't have much use nor the time to listen to other repeaters over the internet but I can see as you've pointed out that some might.

I think that what some may have been irked at (but not mad at so no need for profanity) is you're asking amateurs to help you compile a list that, as you've stated, is more intended to non-amateurs.  I think you may be able to find more websites on your own.  Try doing a Google search.

Phil  KB9CRY
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 09:30:21 AM »

And to prove my theory, I did just that.

I Googled "streaming amateur radio" and they came back with a lot of info.

Here's one site:  

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Internet_and_Radio/Online_Receivers/

Looks like others have already beaten you to making up that list.

Phil
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 01:08:39 AM »

So how does "knowing where you are coming from" equate allowing vile filth to be posted here?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »

Of course I have heard language like that. And no, I do not secretly wish I could use language like that here and get away with it. You're not hanging out with your firefighter buddies in a private place where no one can overhear you. This is a public forum that anyone of any age from anywhere around the world can view and I would not more use language like that here than I would on the air. When you are on the air, especially on the HF bands, you are not only an ambassador for amateur radio, but you also represent America. Thank you for portraying all of us in such a positive light.

I can not say this as a fact since I do not have an Employee Handbook for your city or department, but I would be surprised if they did not have some sort of Code of Conduct policy that dictates how you should present yourself in public or when representing yourself professionally. With my company, violating this policy is grounds for termination. I am sure that your mayor and fire chief would be so proud of the way you represent them in public.

Everyone gets angry, frustrated and upset. That's normal. Being a public servant, I am surprised you don't realize that you are never really off duty even when your uniform is in the closet. A lot of public servants get into trouble because they forget this and say the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong person. The next time you see San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White, try using that type of language in front of her and see how long you have your job!

OK, I am getting off my soapbox... for now!

Scott N0IU
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 04:48:36 AM »

N6HBJ wrote, "Scott, you're rather obsessed with me aren't you?"

No, I just don't agree with it being OK to use that sort of language in an open forum.

You are obviously not going to change your mind and I am not going to change mine.

So be it.

I have already wasted way too much time on this.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 09:46:13 AM »

Dang!!!  I thought I had stumbled into a MySpace chatroom!!  childern childern!!

HA!  Dan/NØFPE
KD5LPB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 08:10:34 AM »

Have you guys ever checked out this one?

http://www.w4mq.com/

It's different in that it allows you to transmit. It covers all ham bands, and almost all modes.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: