Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one work RI?  (Read 662 times)
WB7DE

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2007, 06:09:24 AM »

I have been trying to complete the basic WAS and have yet to hear a Rhode Island station on the air.  It is the last state I need.  Where are those guys?  Is there a trick to working them?

David WB7DE
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:16:06 AM »

Try working contests such as Sweepstakes, North American QSO party, and if there is one, the Rhode Island QSO party.

I had a similar problem with Wyoming when I was doing my CW WAS.  So I hooked up to a repeater via Echolink in Wyoming to find some one to set up a schedule with.  And lo and behold I found some one who would do that.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »

I worked a couple of RI stations yesterday on the NAQP. One of them was on 80 meters!

Yeah, I could have fallen out of the chair... 100 watts of RTTY dipole about 15 meters high, and HE called ME!

Just goes to show, you never know. RI and DE are difficult at best, so good luck!

73 Gary
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:44:48 PM »

You might try one of the more popular WAS nets - the 3905 Century Club.

http://www.3905ccn.com/

Scott N0IU
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »

My home state, Nevada, was considered the rarest one back in the '60s.  I also had trouble with Wyoming, but I received a phone call one evening from a ham in Casper, I think it was, wanting to arrange a sked on 40 CW for his WAS.  We made the sked, and we both got our WAS!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 05:22:51 AM »

No you guys are wrong, ND and SD are the rarest.  You see it's all where your QTH is; obviously being on the left coast, all right coasters are rare to you, and vice versa.  They're there, just keep trying.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:45:42 AM »

David,
I'll share a plan that worked for me. I was missing two states. I went to the ARRL website, to the Net Search feature and searched for nets in the state in which I was interested. There is usually a State Wide Traffic Net for every state every night mostly on 40M or 80M. I went to the frequency listed about 10 to 15 minutes BEFORE the net was scheduled to start. There were always some guys holding the freq by just chatting. A quick "Question" would get a comeback at which time I would explain that I was working on my WAS and needed a card from "whatever state".  Both times there was someone who was more than happy to send a card. I got the last two this way. For me, for whatever reason, Alabama was the hardest.

Good luck,
Clint - W5CPT
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:24:54 AM »

No problem here, just set up a sked on eQSL for DE and AK, had them both in a couple of days...I lucked out as they were also on LOTW.

73, de Lindy
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 06:00:09 PM »

I guess I've been lucky. I'm still a long way from getting WAS but I've already worked and verified both Delaware and Rhode Island.
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 10:18:15 AM »

I guess I still need to get to work.  Just 50 more states to get WAS!  (I have everything set up, I just need to finish putting up the dipole so that I can get out (just been waiting for a nice day to get up on the roof to do it)).

If anybody needs Indiana, just let me know.

73's

Joel
KC9ATJ
WB7DE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »

I finally got RI.  A Rhode Island ham sent me an email and we made arrangements.  Because of poor band conditions, it took a couple of tries over the past week or so.  My thanks to Gary, KB1KA for sticking with me and making the basic WAS a reality for me.
KI4JQB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »

I'll be glad to get you Virginia, if possible. You ought to check out the YLISSB and OMISS nets. The YLISSB website is www.ylsystem.org, and the OMISS webite is www.omiss.net.

73, John
KI4JQB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: