Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5-BTV Elevated mount without radials  (Read 684 times)
W8RID

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »

Just upgraded to General. Looking at getting my HF rig up and running.

I'm very confined as far as yard space goes. I'm looking at the 5-BTV Vertical.

I'm looking at mounting it on top of a pole that I will run up the side of my house. Ground mount is not an option (well not entirely out of the question but very difficult)

Is there anyone who has done this successfully without using radials??
If so, how did you do it??

I'm running a IC-735 with an PS-55 Power supply and a AT-150.

I can set up a tripod on my roof and put the radials on there but I would rather not if I don;t have to.

Let me know what you think or other suggestions you have.

Thanks

Bob
W8RID
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »

The 5BTV is a great antenna, but mounted on your roof without radials it will be a good looking dummy load. My 5BTV is roof mounted on a tri-pod with 4 radials per band on 80/40 and 2 radials each on the higher bands. I set up the mast so that my radials are at 30 degrees.

73, de Lindy
KC2WI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »

It will not work without tuned radials or a good ground plane. It might work if you have a metal roof and can make adequate connections, but if you mount it on the end of the house, the pattern would be directional, favoring the direction over the house.

If you could mount it in the center of the peak of roof and run radials to the edges of the roof, it will work OK. The antenna is very lightweight and you could mount it on a small tripod screwed/bolted to the roof without a problem, or with a chimney mount.

I've used similar antennas like the 14AVQ and 18AVT and I can tell you the performance and even just ability to get a decent match are totally dependent on the radial/counterpoise/ground plane system.

You'd be better off with a Cushcraft R8 or something similar that doesn't require radials. You can probably find a used R7 or R5.  
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:15:11 AM »

Sorry I dodn't see this earlier.  As someone else said.  It won't work.  It's because the mast (assuming it's conductive) is trying to be the other half of the antenna; like a vertical dipole.  You need either 1/4 wave radials for each band well above earth, or ground mount it with surface or slightly buried radials.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »

I live in a Condo and just installed a ground mounted 5BTV and it works much better than I anticipated.  Having said that, I had a butternut multiband vertical mounted 30 feet above ground and had properly cut radials for 4 of the 6 bands and this thing radiated like gangbusters.  The same would probably be true of the Hustler.  It's basically a vertical dipole with radials.  Without radials, if you use a tuner your coax will radiate at best and at worst you'll foul something up with all the stray RF, most likely your rig and/or some other system in your home unless you use < 20 or 30 watts.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: