Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB Radio question  (Read 711 times)
KI4HNN

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:17:47 PM »

Hi all,
I have a rather dumb question.  I have heard that the old 23channel cb radios are not legal to sell is that right?  I have 2 that I would like to part with, they were given to me a couple of years ago.  I read in one place as long as the radio does not work it would be ok.  If I wanted to sell could I cut something in the radio to make it not work would that be legal if someone wanted to buy just for parts?  I also posted a question about a Galaxy DX88, well I finally got rid of the radio it went to the dump I did pull a few components for parts.  Did not want to use something that was not legal and I did not like the idea of the swingkit in it for use on 10meters.  Heck with it, I have a IC706 I can use and everything will be fine.  As for the cb question can someone touch base with that?  I would like to sell them and buy myself a nice vhf/uhf rig instead.  

Thanks,
Joey
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:40:58 PM »

They're perfectly legal to sell as long as they haven't been "screwdrivered". The big question is, who would want to buy one? They might fetch $5-$15 at a swap meet or flea market, a little more if they have sideband, but that's about it.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:52:09 AM »

You can sell an untampered CB rig.

You can also use a CB rig, modified or not, on the 10m ham band.  Perfectly legal, provided you have a ham license and use it within those license privileges.

You cannot use a modified CB rig on CB again, once it's been tampered with or modified in any way.

As the previous post said, used CB rigs are not worth much, considering brand new ones with a lot of features can be found for less than $100.

The only CB rigs I've seen that have any "street value" are old-time rigs which are becoming collectors items, like the old Browning Golden Eagle stuff, mint condition E.F. Johnson stuff from the 60s, etc.

WB2WIK/6
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:45:50 PM »

Believe 23 channel CB's are illegal to manufacture and sell NEW in the US (as of sometime in the mid 1970's) they must be 40 channel not 23 (much like 12 channel VHF only TV's after sometime the (early? mid?)1950's or TV's w/o positive detent UHF tuning in the early(?) 1970's.

Used CB's (or very old TV's) are a whole differant thing, so sell away.
N9XCR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »

Just curious...Why would they make it illegal to manufacture and sell 23 Ch. CB radios? Is it really illegal to sell a modified CB radio, even if the modifications put it on 10M? I just can't imagine that being the case.

Chris
N9XCR
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »

Just curious...Why would they make it illegal to manufacture and sell 23 Ch. CB radios? Is it really illegal to sell a modified CB radio, even if the modifications put it on 10M? I just can't imagine that being the case.

There was much more to it than the number of channels. Spectral purity, ease of modification etc. With the lagalization of 40 channel capability the 23 channel designs in effect lost thier certification but were grandfathered for continued use if already in operation.
By the time 40 channels came about there were many resourceful individuals who had 40 (and more) but as previously mentioned those rigs were not legal to use on 11 mwters.
Glen
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:55:17 AM »

by N9XCR on April 18, 2007        Just curious...Why would they make it illegal to manufacture and sell 23 Ch. CB radios? Is it really illegal to sell a modified CB radio, even if the modifications put it on 10M? I just can't imagine that being the case.
================

The FCC requires that CB equipment be "certified."  (Formerly known as "type accepted.")  At least from a purely economic standpoint, when the 40 CB channels became available, it made no sense to produce a radio with only the original 23 channels.
      Without certification, it's not legal to sell such equipment NEW.
    It's illegal to sell "modified" CB radios as new equipment, as such a radio will NOT receive FCC certification.  A "modified" CB, as used equipment, can legally be sold by licensed Amateurs to licensed Amateurs or a dealer, or by a dealer to a licensed Amateur.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 09:59:34 PM »

Some of those old CBs have become collectors items, and are going for a lot of money today. Yahoo has a tube CB collectors group, and there are some other links at: http://www.RetroCom.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: