Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meters  (Read 1055 times)
N2NXZ

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »

I get the same replies when I mention 10 Meter band.ITS NOT OPENED!I still call CQ on it anyhow,you never know,a few weeks ago I made a contact with a station in Kentucky.Plus,I havent been on in years,Its the only(voice) HF band I am licensed for so far and propagation isnt always important.Finding stations in the local range is lots of fun I think anyhow.Unfortunately,VHF/UHF is most popular in Rochester NY.I really dont care for VHF/UHF radio anyhow.I do have 10 meter privelages.Alot of people lately seem to overlook my actual call sign-N2NXZ.It used to be KB2NCY when I took my first exam with 5 WPM code.After passing the tech eaxam,I chose to get a new call sign.I am still debating whether to keep that one when I pass the General exam.I have always been interested in radio since a kid,I remember I was tampering in a CB radio at about age 13 once and somehow it started receiving shortwave broadcast.I was hooked.I still have a Signal corps BC348-Q receiver.It works very well.Also have another aircraft radio,BC-AR-430.Have not even looked into it yet,just sits here doing nothing.A gentalmen who served WW2 gave it to me whom I met delivering building supplies to.I will,find or buy within reson any radio stuff.I seem to always get lucky,keep my eyes opened often.Someone tossed out a HEATHKIT SB200 in a dumpster where I used to work.I have it now,its in very goo condition visually,and insides are very clean.I smell nothing burnt and see nothing burnt.I am kinda afraid of it tho.Looks dangerous.When I get my General,I then will check into it.Anyhow,thats a quick sum on what I am about.Take care all.And try 10 meters more often.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »

Keep going for it.  You'll have good chances are farther distances at the equinox coming up.  But for any good DXing, you'll just have to wait a few years except during 10M contests when everyone will get on and "open" up the band.  Try upgrading between now and then to be able to do more but when we're on the top of the cycle, 10M will be open almost 24 hours. Phil
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 06:54:47 PM »

When you go for General DO NOT check new call sign on the form.  The only sequentially available call signs for Generals are the 2x3 format.  Either keep the call you have now or later get a vanity call.  Unless you do not like your current call, keep it.  General class licensees are eligible for 1x3 calls and 2x3 calls.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »

Honestly,I had wished I had kept KB2NCY.Easier to say and understand when calling DX.I believe I`ll keep N2NXZ.Otherwise,I may get a tongue twister :)I do not think there are many locals around here on HF.Years ago some friends here talked 10 meters often.So far,just terrible interference from a local CB`er.We wont go into that here,I see the results in the other post`s Sad By the way,this is a neat website. http://remote.n2jeu.net/cgi-bin/icom756p.exe       I actually heard myself fade in briefly.Its about 70 miles from me.This di-pole works good.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:20:54 AM »

Just so you guys know, on Wednesday (2/7) at 1853z, there was a 10 meter spot on the DX Cluster for VP8LP from a Michigan station.  The Falkand Islands, baby!Check 10 meters!....We're headed for the upswing!.....;-D........
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 05:42:03 AM »

When it comes to 10meters, the more correct statement is that at this point in the sunspot cycle it is not regularly and predictably open.  It does indeed open at times as sporadic E propagation works well for this band (however it is unpredictable).  In addition, north/south paths may open when other directions do not.  These phenomena could explain the Michigan/Falkland Islands contact.

So it never hurts to try calling CQ and dialing the band.
W3SCM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:02:42 AM »

"Honestly,I had wished I had kept KB2NCY"

So, why not go back and get it as a vanity call?  It's not assigned.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 11:20:02 AM »

Ironic.Just talked to a station in California.We were both running TS520`s stock power.I guess 10 meters has its moments.I am very happy about this rig.He also struggled with my call sign.I will keep it although a bit of a tongue twister.There are still some old friends out there that know this call.
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »

10 dead?  Just remember if no one transmits any band will appear to be dead.  Don't just listen, toss a CQ out for a couple of minutes.

When I'm going up the band to 10, I pass thru the 11 meter band, usually there is someone on there from the west coast or Texas, do you think it's possible that those guys are coming into SW PA on ground wave?

Those of you wiith new privledges, don't just listen...say something, the worst that could happen is that no one will be on your frequency listening.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 04:11:43 PM »

I think 11 meters they run ridiculous power outputs.If you go to channel 6 or 26 usually you will hear something from out of your state.In 10 meters,the rule is 200 watts max.Too bad or 10 would be active more often.I personally rather run low watts on all bands.Makes it more challenging,besides,I hear alot of guys using 1500 watts in 80 meters telling people running 100 watts they need an amp,but they sound just as clear and have the same signals.Funny how it works in radio.Until I get my General class,28.400 USB is where I`ll be calling CQ.
W6DPS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »

I don't want to open the whole power-doesn't-change-propagation thread here, but if you can hear stations from long distance, then there is a band opening.

Listening on 11 meters is one way to see if 10 may be open--it is not much lower in frequency.

A better way would be to tune around 28.200 to seeif you hear any beacon stations, that is what they are for.  If you hear a fair amount of activity, The band has an opening.  So, go back to the phone frequency you prefer and try a couple of CQs.

If you listen to the band fairly often (with the squelch open if you have one) you will begin to hear a difference, evenif there are no other stations on frequency.  If you notice a change in noise level, give a CQ or two.

As mentioned before, the worst you can do is not make any contacts--the same as if you don't try.

Things are on the upswing, but not quickly.  It should be much better on 10 in the coming years.

73's de Dave, W6DPS
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 08:00:45 AM »

I've been making a point to monitor 28.200 whenever I SWL and so far I've heard NOTHING. Not even when I crank the volume and try to strain through the static.

Then again I only have a chance to listen around 9 - 10pm EST so maybe i'm doing it wrong...
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »

Weekends are best for me for 10 meter RX/TX.Its the only chance I get around 12-2pm EST.But I do hear stations fading in and out recently on 28400 in this time frame.To me ,the unpredictable is the fun of it.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »

Hello I prefer 10mtr. as the premier dx band.There are,various reasons for the lack of use which i wont get into,except for one.Calling cq,or cqdx.There are plenty of opportunities/skywave openings that i observe such as the beacons,the skywave sounds and so forth, the evidence being clearly that the band is oftentimes to a more or lessor degree open.and that is very likely why the contests succeed when coupled to highly advertised events.Therefore the easiest and most effective tactic one can utilize is simply to call cq or cqdx.this will help raise the amount of activity and of course thats what we all want.The effect of lower solar numbers naturally lessons amateur activity on 10 because success percentages decrease and there is nothing wrong with shifting to where it gets better such as on 17.Anyway call cq for domestic contacts or even cqdx for outside the USA.Because even the ole timers know that they cant predict it all. Hint just because its not open in their area doesnt mean its not open in yours!There are various reasons too extensive to list here.73  have fun
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 07:49:26 AM »

Even if 10 meters is dead for DX,It is a good place for locals to know who they are.Here in Rochester NY I have not heard anyone in my city in the 3 months of listening on all bands.I think a lot of people are VHF/UHF around here.But being persistent on 10 meters would be a good way for people to find locals.I do not think there always has to be propagation to use it.Just a thought.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: