Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF antenna questions  (Read 525 times)
N3VMC

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2007, 07:16:11 AM »

Hello all,

Ive been looking for a good HF antenna for my newly purchased row home. Ive been looking at different types and manufactures but I cant really nail down what I would want to spend my $$$ on. Any ideas? I am still a Tech with a newly acquired Ten Tec Delta II and I am in the process of studying for my General. My house is a typical flat roof row home (80+ years old) and is 14'x45'. I do have a backyard also...about 30' to the back driveway.

Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated!

Vince
N3VMC
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:36:36 AM »

That gives you 47 feet from corner to corner. That's enough space for a 40M dipole. One inexpensive option would be to put a support mast in each corner and put up a 40m/20m/15M/10M trapped dipole. You could also go with a fan dipole (multiple elements, one for each band).

Other options would include a loop around the building or a trapped vertical in the center (one that doesn't need radials).
N3VMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:00:17 AM »

I was looking at a few verticals...maybe an R8 or similar.

Oh I forgot to include the MFJ Tuner also.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »

Nice flat roof could be a home for doublet fed with twin lead thru a transmatch. Probably 10 thru 40 meters. Elevate the ends as much as possible.
N3VMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:41:45 AM »

Hoe about a folded dipole? The B&W 45 covers 40 down to 10 and 6mand is only 45 feet. I could mount it flat.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:08:36 AM »

The B&W dipoles are rather inefficient antennas, especially on the lower bands, because they contain a resistor to increase the bandwidth. As you move lower in frequency more power is disipated as heat in the resistor and less power is radiated. They are a good compromise if you really need to work *any* frequency in their range rather than spot bands of frequencies such as the ham bands.

For ham band only use my choice would be a trapped dipole.
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:49:40 AM »

G5RV half size will fit into that space. I have one which is ok and gives me satisfactory results. The US may call them something different.

Charlotte 2E0BSS
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 01:40:32 PM »

1. What are your particular goals at this time in operating HF?  Ragchewing, participating in nets, contesting, DXing, digital?

2.  How high can you get a dipole up?  If it is too low, a trapped vertical might be better.  However a dipole would probably be better if you can get some decent height on it.

You might want to consider two antennas.  For example, a G5RV and a vertical.  Some days one will be better and other days the other one will be better.
KD7GKE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »

I too am a fan of the G5RV as well, but also have a Butternut HF 6 in my back yard. (Like you, I have a Delta II Model 536, with matching Ten Tec Tuner, too)  Good starting out rig, Once you get hooked, you will want to graduate, or expand your horizons.  

Happy hunting!!!

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »

first and cheapest would be the hustler 5BTV at about $159 and works so so better with radials.

next up is a steppir 6-40 or 6-80 vert much more expoensive but always perfect, or do a search here on elmers or google for Fan Dipole, you can make your self for 10 or 20 bucks..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: