Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sales to Overseas Hams  (Read 420 times)
K4JC

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »

I have a fellow in Australia who wants to buy a rig I have for sale. Short of using Paypal (which can get expensive with their fees), what is the best way for this ham to get the funds to me? Do other countries have International money orders? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »

PayPal is the only device I am aware of. I know a French ham who purchases cw keys on E-bay using that method without a problem...to date.

If the Aussie has a friend, good friend visiting the states, maybe that person could use his Australian bank card, withdraw the needed funds, (would come out in U.S. dollars), go into a post office and purchase a money order to your name and address and mail it off to you. In fact, if the Aussie dollar is a stronger currency, he would save money in the exchange. Wouldn't surprise me if their dollar was worth more on the exchange market. The Euro sure is.

Not easy any more.

Good luck.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:48:53 PM »

I have always used Chase Bank International. A long shot...but if he can get to a Chase branch in Australia, they will issue him a check which can be cashed at any bank in the US at the current exchange rate.

73, de Lindy

ZL4JB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »

I live in New Zealand and often send money to my son who lives in the US.  I send it by wire transfer.  All you need to give the Aussie is your bank account details, name, account number and the like) and he will 'wire' the money into your account.  It is actually a transfer of money from his account into yours.  He will also have it transferred into US$ on his end so you will get exactly what you asked for.  It is simple and very reliable.  Good luck.
JIM       ZL4JB  &  KB8MPQ
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »

Thanks all for the fine suggestions; however the other guy backed out of the deal. A wire transfer is a great idea if you know the other party involved in the transaction, but if it is a stranger I'd be pretty leery about giving out my bank details. Paypal charges fees but in the long run I think it's a safer bet since both parties' bank information stays private.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »

I don't think PayPal charges any fees if you have a "personal" account, provided that a credit card is not used for the payment. If they fund it with a credit card then you have to pay 4.9% plus $0.30. I think there is a 2.5% fee if it is funded with other than U.S. dollars. If he wants to use a credit card just raise the selling price to cover your fees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: