Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trade off Citizens Band.  (Read 1730 times)
W6NZX

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »

A friend and I just had a conversation and a novel idea presented it's self.

Why not stick citizens band on 220.0 to 222.00 Mhz UPS never used it and give us back 11M.

While they're at it why not open the entire 11 Meter band to SSB voice, data, and CW for every license class.

It makes no sense to have CB on an HF band when it was really designed for short distance communications.

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »

And just HOW do you propose to convince a few million "John or Jane Q Public,"  who are CB operators and all the illegal operators, that they have to send their radios to the recycle center, and buy new equipment?

All such a proposal would do is turn the legal CB'ers into illegal operators, and it wouldn't stiop those people that are already illegal operators.
W6NZX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:14:27 AM »

They had to dump their radios once before remember?  And lots of hams got very inexpensive modifiable 10M radios out of it.

Or did you forget?  Or not know that?

Sheesh have some humility.

Rob W6NZX
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 05:54:50 AM »

>> They had to dump their radios once before remember? And lots of hams got very inexpensive modifiable 10M radios o<<

No they didn't.  They only had to live with 23 of the then possible 40 channels.  However if you were trying to have the best of the best then of course.

What happend is the market for old 23 channel radios
became flooded with them and they were available dirt cheap.

As to making 10M rige of them.. That's been going on near as as long as CB.  It was popular to take the older
tube crystal per channel radio and put them on 10.  I was even covered in the ARRL Mobile Manual back in '68.

Allison
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 07:09:47 PM »

I think the FCC essentially made what they originally intended 11M CB to be when they established GMRS and FRS services. I have no idea what they were thinking when they tried to establish a short range service on the 11M band during a sunspot maximum.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

There are millions of CB radios still out there that were made from the '50s to the present!  Would be tough to get them all off the band.  It might be a better idea if the FCC could make 11 meters into a special band that would be shared both by CBers and hams alike!  That way we'd be able to get to know many CBers, and perhaps recruit them into the ham ranks.  Also, most CB units that were made are AM only, so hams would have a lot of unused space on 11 meters for SSB operations.  If so many CBers are playing around illegally on the freeband, it would be only right to let hams back onto the CB frequencies!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 08:15:12 PM »

"While they're at it why not open the entire 11 Meter band to SSB voice, data, and CW for every license class. "

Why?  10m is 1.7MHz wide, wider than hams will ever need.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W6NZX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 08:33:23 PM »

Speaking of GMRS and FRS why don't we just kill Citizens Band altogether and give 11M and that chunk of 1.25M back to us?

One thing I can't stand on 2M is people asking me for my "handle" WTH? It's people migrating from CB land, usually they don't bother to follow the accepted norms on 2M either.  I.e. follow the (good) operating practice of those you hear on the repeater. The other thing i hear alot is "break" that's for emergencies MORON! If you want to join in USE YOUR CALLSIGN!

Anyway if i ever hear someone say "breaker" I'm calling in an air strike.

Rob W6NZX
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 10:26:33 PM »

"why don't we just kill Citizens Band altogether"

The millions of people that use it every day come to mind.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 05:33:54 AM »

One thing I can't stand on 2M is people asking me for my "handle"

Hate to tell you this, but HANDLE was a legitimate ham term for name- eg handle here is Tom. The CB'ers stole the term and used it to make up silly nicknames for themselves. It's crap like "FIRST PERSONAL HERE IS..." that migrated from CB to ham radio. Say something like that on a repeater and you may as well buy a 10 foot neon arrow to carry over your head that says CB'er!

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
K5FH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 07:06:59 PM »

What you describe was proposed in the early 1970s.  The proposal was to create a new Citizens Band on 220MHz (class E) with a power restriction of 1W and antennas restricted to 1/4-wave verticals.  Obviously, this proposal didn't go anywhere.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 11:15:17 PM »

Back in the late '50s tubes were used to make tranceievers, and it was easier and cheaper to make 27 MHZ radios for the CB masses than to make higher frequency radios.  CB was already entrenched on 11 meters when transistor technology became popular in the late '60s and early '70s, which could have made higher frequency CB radios more practical.  
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 06:39:50 AM »

"Break" and "handle" were in use on the ham bands long before there even was 11M CB. Its only fairly recently that some have decided these are "CB" terms that shouldn't be used on the ham bands.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 11:52:45 PM »

OK, but 10-4, good buddy, and raddido aren't, and that's what has been heard on 2m lately.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 02:14:37 PM »

What is done is done. It's is too late now, you would never get 11 meters cleaned up. To many old radios out There. I agree CB should have been put somewhere in the VHF spectrum. Where band openings would be rare.  If a band opening occurred  let it be legal to work it no big deal. If there is blame to be had then let  the FCC  take it all. They knew better, they knew about the solar cycles. They could have stopped the commercial manufacture of RF amplifiers from the beginning. I have a 1973 Henchaws CB catalog  not one business radio in it, but it has about 6 pages of RF amplifiers all of which take 4 watts drive and operate exclusively from 25 to 30 MHz. And state illegal for class D
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: