Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trade off Citizens Band.  (Read 1636 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

Citizens Band activity on Citizens Band has absolutely zero impact on my ham activities, and I even had a neighbor come over to me and ask me what my antennas were and mention that he was a CBer ... and he had something or other with a big heatsink on it in his hand, if you know what I mean...

Freeband activity has a minor effect on my ham radio activity on 10m, very occasionally.

If CB lingo and manners are appearing on the ham bands, just operate more and set a good example.

The reason why anyone adopts particular mannerisms and language on the radio is because they like radio and there's an operating protocol.  

If most of the people new hams coming in from CB talk to are also new hams coming in from CB, the CB mannerisms and lingo might stick.

IF most of the people new hams coming in from CB talk to are seasoned hams, they'll adopt those operating habits.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 06:50:43 PM »

W6NZX on May 6, 2007  

They had to dump their radios once before remember? And lots of hams got very inexpensive modifiable 10M radios out of it.

Or did you forget? Or not know that?

Sheesh have some humility.

==================

I didn't forget.  And I never knew that, because it never happened the way you say.

The FCC grandfathered existing 23 channel radios.  They could NOT be modified, but could STILL legally be used on the original 23 channels.  If CB operators "threw away" their radios, it was because they wanted the additional 17 channels to use, but it wasn't mandatory.  And apparently, at the same time, the FCC ruled that only 40 channel CB radios would be "type accepted" (the term for the equipment approval program in use at the time) and no new 23 channel radios could be produced.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »

There are tons of old CB radios being sold on ebay every day, many of which have been modified abd tinkered with.  Plenty of websites exist where illegal radios and amplifiers are available.  Rules don't mean much to many of these folks.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 02:47:43 PM »

KA5ROW on May 10, 2007         What is done is done. It's is too late now, you would never get 11 meters cleaned up. To many old radios out There. I agree CB should have been put somewhere in the VHF spectrum. Where band openings would be rare. If a band opening occurred let it be legal to work it no big deal. If there is blame to be had then let the FCC take it all. They knew better, they knew about the solar cycles. They could have stopped the commercial manufacture of RF amplifiers from the beginning. I have a 1973 Henchaws CB catalog not one business radio in it, but it has about 6 pages of RF amplifiers all of which take 4 watts drive and operate exclusively from 25 to 30 MHz. And state illegal for class D.
==============

It's not just the FCC's "fault."  11 Meters was a secondary Amateur allocation; the primary allocation was Land Mobile.  But the band is used in many countries as a "Citizen's Band," which falls into the broad category of "Land Mobile" use.  The U.S.'s FCC alone isn't, or wasn't, responsible for the mess 11 Meters is today, although lack of enforcement IS their fault.  But once CB went unlicensed, and without a license fee, all bets were off.  Without a license, John or Jane Doe could use a radio, no questions asked, and few, if any, bothered to read the rules, or even the basic guidelines usually supplies with the radios.
    But somewhere in the old memory banks it seems there were other licensed "services" in the 11 Meter band (although when first implemented, CB was licensed also) that did allow use of amplifiers; but the "Class D" Citizen's Band didn't allow their use.  Class D CB (at the time) was limited to 5 Watts power INPUT to the final, just as Amateur Radio was limited to 1 kW INPUT power.  (Which pretty much meant a maximum OUTPUT power of about 700 Watts; yet some current Amateurs complain if they can't achieve 1499.999 watts OUTPUT with their amp.  Go figure!)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 06:54:55 PM »

The FCC should have kept call signs and tickets for CBers.  At $25 a pop, they were raking in millions and could have used that cash to improve enforcement on 11 meters!  They also should have added a provision to help CBers upgrade to ham tickets.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »

It's all Lady Bird Johnsons fault
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »

You mean CBs "First Mama" Betty Ford?
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »

Not a problem for me . CB has been dead for the last 20 odd years . if there is any activity on CB then its hams using it .
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »

Quote: "Say something like that on a repeater and you may as well buy a 10 foot neon arrow to carry over your head that says CB'er"

Or says, "I am learning. Please help."

It is all in the attitude!
Frank
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: