Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: German Airport Security - beware  (Read 378 times)
N9SLR

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2007, 02:34:50 PM »

Just got back from a trip originating at Berlin's Tiegel airport and thought I would alert others.  I was carrying 2 Yaesu VX-5Rs that, over the years, I had taken into several European countries, including Germany without a problem.  On this occasion, they spotted the radios on their X-ray and brought me into a special examining room. They indicated that their security policy did not permit a walkie-talkie type radio to travel in carry-on with the battery attached - I had to separate the two and either check one or the other. They indicated that they wanted to eliminate the possibility of transmissions while the plane was airborne.  I did ask why cell phone batteries were not also separated from their transmitters, but I could see this would get me nowhere. Fortunately I was carrying a camera bag and a wheeled computer case - so I put all the camera equipment into the computer case and checked in the small camera case with the two batteries.  Of course, arriving at JFK, the case had been lost. Now the second day after returning the bag has supposedly been found and is being sent to me - fortunately all this occurred at the end of my trip.  Has anyone else encountered this "policy" or is this a fluke of the security officer it was my luck to encounter.
Fred Kelcz, N9SLR
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:30:16 AM »

I suppose it depends on the security officer. I ran into the same thing on occasion here in the U.S., even before 9/11. In one case the batteries couldn't be carried on the same plane as me and they had to ship them to me via UPS. In another case they gave the HT to the pilot and let him hold it in the cockpit. In many other cases they only wanted an explanation of what it was and then let me carry it on with no problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: