Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helpful Harmonic Reminds Me To Tidy Desk  (Read 624 times)
VA7HYD

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »

Ok, I admit it... my desk was untidy and my directions were not completely clear, so I have nobody to blame but myself, but I just have to vent...

I've been saving envelopes I get QSL cards in so I can give them to my father-in-law who collects stamps. My helpful harmonic, not realizing some had QSL cards in them, picked a stack of envelopes off my desk and gave them to her grandfather... who tore off the stamps and recycled the "empty" envelopes.

I'm filing away returned QSL cards as they come in now...I'm working my way down the log trying to figure out whose cards got recycled... I'm sending apologetic letters and SASE's asking for replacement cards and...(LOL)... my desk is much tidier now!

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:31:32 AM »

The door to my shack still has the combo lock on it that I installed when I had small kids :-)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »

Sorry for your loss.

No one, including my wife, touches anything in my shack if I am not present.

I don't play with the grandchildren's toys and they don't play with mine. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
HA6SST

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:53:35 AM »

Have pity on a poor ex-VP

http://hometech.apartmenttherapy.com/hometech/inspiration/inspiration-al-gores-desk-023314

(Safe for work).

HA6SST
K8MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:02:39 AM »

My better half threw a radio away I had hidden.  It was meant to be a gift for my daughter when she passed (she did) her Morse Code test.  All the better half saw was a bag of stuff and threw it away without telling me.  The big problem is the radio was one of a kind, a clear case Alinco HT I got from Steven K. Roberts.  He got it from Alinco for some work he did.

Now if I even think she is getting the idea of going anywhere near my stuff I get enraged.  I don't throw her stuff away and she, nor anyone, has the right to throw my stuff away.

I save stamps for my dad.  If any of those got thrown away I would be royally P.O.'d.

As men for some reason we more or less laugh this stuff off.  You will find that women throw men's stuff away all the time.  What would happen if one of us men folk decided to go through the women's stuff and toss some of that old junky jewelry that's been in the family longer than it should be in the trash?  Or what about those stupid old pictures?  

There is a huge double standard when it comes to this issue...
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:09:49 PM »

<< There is a huge double standard when it comes to this issue...>>

You are just noticing this? I've been saying it on eHam for years!

Husbands don't have control / veto power / purchasing power over the wives hobbies, so why should they have any control or say-so over the husband's.

The day my wife (and I love her VERY much) starts making the house payments, she can have a say what I do in, with or on my house! Until that time ... Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:01:37 PM »

Lon,
 You make it sound as though your wife is not an equal partner. To say that she does not contribute to the house payment to me is the same as saying she does not contribute period!I know several men who are the only ones in their home employed and yes, even though they earn the money to actually mail the bills off, their spouse has a full time job cooking, cleaning, taking kids to practice, ensuring homework is completed on time, and all the other things that goes on while the man is at work!!! Are you saying your wife does none of these types of things and since you make the house payment you hold a position over her. I like how you refer to the house as "yours" too, that is funny!
  I am sure if your wife read your statement, she would feel really empowered.
  Not to mention probably blacking your eye as well!!!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:27:57 PM »

Hammertime:

Since you do not know me or my wife, how gauche of you to tell me anything.

Patsy and I have been happily married for 40 years yesterday and no, she does not tell me what to do with or to the house. Neither does she tell me what to do with or about my hobbies, just as I don't tell her what to do about hers.

She knows well my feelings and agrees with them. She is a professional in her own right, not a stay-at-home housekeeper and we share just about everything, but it's my income that pays the bills. She doesn't care two hoots about radio, but helps me install antennas, pulls coax and does a lot of other things for me, just as I do for her.

I just love you guys who roll over and play dead for your wives out of some misplaced feeling of spousal equality.

There IS a double standard and it exists because men don't have the cojones to put a stop to it.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:31:07 PM »

BTW; Maybe your wife would black your eye, but mine wouldn't. She's too much of a lady for that.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »

I would sure like to be there when you showed her some of these posts you come up with. You would have a different tune then!
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »

One more thing. I did not say I knew anything about you or your wife, I do not know how you derived that out of my post! You are the one acting as though you know something about me by grouping me with the guys who roll over for their wife. I can assure you, if I want to put an antenna up regardless of how ugly it is, I do not have to get permission and neither does she for the things she wants to do!
  I can honestly say that when I see posts from men who talk about xyl friendly antennas, I get as big a laugh out of it as you I am sure.
  Furthermore, I do not care if your anniversary is today and you have been married for 100 years, your comment regarding the house payment that YOU make, and the house YOU own, and what YOU can and can’t do with it is demeaning to your wife, whether she would agree to it or not.
  I know a lot of people would disagree with me just because I do not take the “popular” stance on some things here at EHAM but I bet if people were really honest, they would post that their wife would find your remark offensive if they had made it regarding their spouse and using the same tone as you did. That is all I am pointing out here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: