Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Fun  (Read 379 times)
W5PJW

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:02 AM »

Ham radio is fun. You know, actually getting on the air and having a QSO. Last evening I was sitting at my desk doing some chores. It was about 0200Z and I fired up the rig planning to tune around a bit later. The receiver was sitting on a quiet spot of the 20M CW band. A weak signal called CQ. For some reason weak signals get my attention more than the strong ones. Another station answered and they had brief exchange. "Reading the mail" I learned he was running a modest station not unlike my own. 100 watts. Vertical. After his first QSO ended I gave him a call with my mighty 100 watts and ladder-line fed dipole I'd put up the day before (AKA "Worm Warmer" due to it's low height) . He responded. Neither one of us were burning the ionisphere but it was a solid 559 both ways. A nice contact between two modest stations, no amps, no beams. Small potatoes. Another new entry into the log.    

Oh. And he was in Tahiti.

Ham radio is fun.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:15:23 AM »

Wait a minute!!!  Isn't "reading the mail" CB slang???
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:19:26 AM »

Good Stuff. For the last 22 years, I have used nothing but 100 watt radios and dipole antennas barefoot.  262 countries confirmed. No amps.  No directional antennas.  And I used a lot of CW too (hear that, all of you code whiners out there?). It has been challenging and will continue to be that way, but when the qso is had, it's very rewarding. Especially if it's one of the rarest of the rare. Amps???  We don't need no stinking amps! (well maybe...;-D...)

Vince P
KA3NRX
W5PJW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »

"Reading the Mail" :

LOL, I don't think so. I've heard that used in ham circles for 38 years now. Plus, not too many CBers are reading the mail on a CW QSO.  Smiley
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:50:27 AM »

Been a licensed ham since 1962 and have been "reading the mail" ever since.  Another old amateur radio term that seeped into CB now causing hearburn to ex-CB'ers who thought it was invented there.

Much like "handle" and "on the side", it is a well accepted phrase with roots deep in amateur radio.

Terry, WØFM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »

Old CW ops, maritime or commercial, also called it, "copying the mail".  

Because back then, it often WAS mail, messages sent from and to private parties aboard ship, etc.  

Some of us actually earned the old 1st and 2nd Class Radiotelegraph Licenses.  

To earn the First Graph, you had to work a year at a maritime station, typically on a ship since the land stations didn't have much turnover in ops.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: