Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUMMER FIELD DAYS  (Read 637 times)
KC6WGN

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »

JUST WONDER WHY THE FIELD OCCURS ON SUMMER TIME. SOME STATES ON SUMMER TIME ARE NOT HOT BUT IN OTHER STATES LIKE NEVADA,ARIZONA,SOME PARTS OF CALIFORNIA AND OTHERS ARE TOO HOT TO PARTICIPATE ON FIELD. THE TEMPERATURES THE PLACES WERE MENTIONED WERE LIKE 100 TO 115 DEGRESS FAH.,IM JUST CURIOUS, WHY NOT DURING SEPTEMBER OR COOL SEASON. MOST PARTICIPANTS AND OTHER HAM TO BE ARE DISCOURAGE BECAUSE OF THE TEMPERATURE ISSUES...
THANKS...
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:28:42 PM »

Do you really want to come up to Northern Illinois in January?  I'd rather sweat than shiver.  
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:25:59 PM »

Field Day is a training exercise. The Heat/Rain/Cold (some places)/Wind and other weather induced difficulties are part of it. The idea is to be ready to set up and communicate regardless of weather.

I want to meet the Ham who declines a request for emergency communications because the weather does not suit him or her. (not really)

Hams got some really good press when they set up before the hurricanes stopped and provided a service that no one else could.

That is what Field Day is about. Go out no matter what the weather and learn and enjoy.

Clint - W5CPT
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »

Where we have our Field Day exercise, it is a toss-up as to whether the SNOW will be gone or not.  Most years there is still snow in the shaded areas of the campsites.  At well over 7000 ft elevation, we usually experience all four seasons in one Field Day weekend... We have days when the temperature can climb into the high 80 degree range... and nights the temps fall to well below freezing (all in the same 24 hour period).  It RAINS it SNOWS, it HAILS, it BLOWS... to coin a rock song by QUEEN: "Thunder and lightning... very VERY frightening..." and Springtime in the Rockies DOES have lots of thunderstorms at that elevation.  
If Field Day were any EARLIER, we would be fighting 2 to 3 foot snow drifts, and the snow returns to that elevation in late August or Early September, so Field Day is just fine WHEN it occurs.  Having said that, we DO drag our tower trailer out and set up beams and rotators in the sub-Zero weather for Skywarn Recognition Day - and also have done the same thing when the temps on the Montana Prairies can reach into the low 100 degree range.

If your FIELD DAY is "TOO HOT" for you, you are certainly invited up to our location.  Bring Shorts and a T-shirt, and a raincoat and a Parka... you'll need them all. The only constant necessity is SUN-BLOCK... you'll need it if you are not used to the mountains.

Hope your FIELD DAY is GREAT !
CAM
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »

Somehow this didn't get included in my previous post, but here it is (agian)...

there is an organization that promotes a "WINTER FIELD DAY".  You can find information at the following link.
http://www.spar-hams.org/contests/winterfd/index.php

Happy HAMMIN'

CAM
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »

Speaking as a resident of the home of the lousiest weather in these United States of America (Pittsburgh, PA, where we have four seasons seasons, Winter, Indian Winter (aka cold and rainy), two days in July and Road Construction), I have to say that field day is too early!  I wish it were in mid July, where we actually have a chance of getting decent weather! (Anything below 80 F for a daytime high is arctic). Sorry, but I am with Phil. I would rather sweat than shiver, shovel, slip, and scrape. Quite frankly, I am getting tired of being cold and wet, not just for field day either.  If you would like to trade places with me, give me a call. I am ready willing and able!...:-D.....

Vince P
KA3NRX
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 04:47:57 AM »

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

REPLY: Must be all of that desert heat. Has a strange affect on some people...An affect I'd like to experience.....;-)......
KG4VOC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »

Over 98F here in beautiful Augusta, GA today and we have
2 local clubs set up and participating in Field day.  The
set ups are as different as night and day.  One is set up
under tents, with battery and generator power.  The other
is at a military recreation area in 2 trailers with a/c
and 120/240 power(generators are available).  I have been
to both and no one is complaining.. just making contacts
and having fun... and some gooooood foood.

73!
KG4VOC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »

Should also mention that the club set up at the rec area
has a GOTA station running on batteries and generators.  
The trailers are for relief from the elements.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: