Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asahi MX-11 SWR / Power Meter  (Read 4730 times)
VA3ATW

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »

Good Afternoon.

On an impulse, I bought a small SWR / Power meter at a hamfest - what the hey, it was dirt cheap. Perhaps that should have been a clue.

The meter didn't come with an instruction manual, and I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net (can't even find a site for the company).

Does anyone have any info on how to use this?

Many thanks, and 73

VA3ATW
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:50:51 PM »

"Asahi" was a name once used as a second brand by Crown, as it was known stateside.  

60s vintage?

Likely a rebrand of one of the common stripline meters that were sold under many different brand names and even "house" names, but a picture is worth a thousand words, if you can post a link to a pic of it likely someone can tell you a lot more about it.  

Most of them were rather simple to use, a power switch to select power range and the SWR Forward and Reverse switch.  If it is like that, you could likely use the direction manual from any one of dozens you may find on the web.  

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »

Don't know about electronics equipment, but Asahi makes some pretty good "other" products, like their cold barley soup.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VA3ATW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »

Not sure how I would be able attach a photo it...

But I did garble the model a little (that will teach me from doing it from memory)

Full brand is Asahi Antenna, model is ME-IIX

I also have a label on it saying "ASAHI SEIKO SANGYO CO.LTD"

Has a knob labelled 0 to 10 between the 2 meters.

Not sure if it'll work in a soup, though. hi hi.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »

If it has two separate meters, my guess would be that you connect it in line, apply a small amount of RF and adjust the knob for a full-scale reading on the meter that reads "Power", or "Forward" - something like that.  The other meter probably reads "SWR".

With full scale on the one, read (approximate) SWR on the other.

That cold barley soup can make you forget about SWR, though.  Tastes a lot like beer...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »

Forgot to mention:  when you increase power, you might first want to remove the meter from the line.  It probably isn't meant to handle more than about 5 or 10 watts (I'm thinking it was intended for CB).

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »

websearch brings up exactly one mention and a picture:

http://www.museo-cb.com/museo-cb/medidores-roe/asahi-seyko-sangyo-meiix/

Lited there as:  CB, AM:max 100 watts

Click on the little picture for a blowup.  

Power meter on L, SWR on R.  

At the top of the Power Meter is a "SET" mark.  You key down and turn the knob until the meter needle is there, then read the SWR on the RH meter.  This is a guess.  

Since the Power meter has two scales, 0-10 and 0-100W, there has got to be some switches somewhere on the thing?  Maybe not, maybe the knob attenuates enough to cover both scales.  In that case, good idea to alway start off with knob turned all the way down so as not to slam or pin the meter movement.  

Have you removed the cover and taken a peak inside?  

This might be a good quality stripline meter, well, as good as stripline gets.  

VA3ATW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:44:59 AM »

Yep! That definitely looks like it.

Other than that knob in the center, no other switches on it. Haddn't opened it up. That will be the next step I suppose.

At least now I have a bit of an idea of what I'm dealing with at any rate.

Many Thanks everyone
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: