Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strong roof mount tripods - Question  (Read 950 times)
DAPAQ2

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »

Group,

Id like to ask if anyone knows of a good heavy duty, thick steel/aluminum, high quality roof mount tripod that would effectively support a Celwave Station/superstation master 22 ft fiber glass base station antenna.

I am running into issues with the city i live in about putting up a 40 - 50 ft self supporting tv tower up against the side of my house for this antenna to be mounted on, and my next option is a roof mount tv tower, but I dont know if one exists that is strong enough to hold one of these antennas and what about the roof?, will the roof or the wooden stud bracing hold it?

Thanks

Doug
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:35:29 PM »

I'm not familiar with the antenna you mention, but it sounds like a fiberglass monopole. If so, Glen Martin makes some nice aluminum roof towers that will hold beams and the like, so will be more than adequate for a vertical. You may have to clean up the holes and edges when you unpack it as you don't want to do it on the roof. Make sure you mount it to the structure not just the roof sheathing. 2X4's inside the attic cross ways to the rafters and threaded rods from the tower to the added cross pieces.  Tbere was an article some time ago in QST about how to do it so I am sure that there is something somewhere on the web GOOGLE it and get more information before you attempt it.

Clint - W5CPT
DAPAQ2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:50:42 AM »

Clint,

Thank you for the reply.

Here is a link to the Celwave Station Master series.

http://www.celwave.com/index.php?p=582&l=1&sid=cc07049f95eb1b36735fe4c7a5235d5a

They are 20 to 22 ft long, 3 inches at the base, and about 23 lbs.

I will look into the tripods, thanks for the tip.

Doug
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »

I vote for the Glen Martin Engineering roof towers, also.

They're NOT tripods.   The GME roof towers are 4-legged (not three legged) and thus once installed can be tilted over in either of two directions -- your choice, depending upon which two bolts you pull for the tilting.

They are fairly lightweight but very strong, built of heavy duty aluminum extrusion materials.  You assemble them yourself, and the typical 8' or 9' unit takes about an hour to assemble (lots of pieces, assembled using stainless steel bolts and Nylock nuts).  Either of these models can EASILY handle the Super Stationmaster for VHF -- no sweat.  I have much larger antennas than that on mine.

I've had one of the GME units on my roof for 5-1/2 years now with zero issues.  No leaks, no noise, no rattles or squeaks -- it's rock solid.  Of course, it's installed using long lag screws that go through the roofing and deeply into the roof rafters, with fender washers under the hex heads of the lag screws and then all four mounting "foot" assemblies coated with fibreglas reinforced roofing tar (Henry brand roofing cement).  My installation took all of an hour, done by me.  I can climb it and try to shake it at the top and it doesn't budge a millimeter.

The GME roof towers have many "options," be sure to be clear about what you need and order them at the same time to avoid disappointment.

WB2WIK/6
DAPAQ2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »

Well guys I looked into the Glen Martin towers and the shortest they offer is a 4 1/2 ft and they told me they will not custom build me one.

Does anyone make one this durable but in a 2 ft tower?

I need something strong enough to support decent sized antennas such as mentioned above or a 3 or 6 element yagi or a Celwave 1312 (8 ft fiberglass whip).

Thanks

Doug
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »

OK, now you're switching antennas on us. First it was a 22 foot whip and now it's a Yagi and an 8 foot whip. (Did you mean 8m long whip?) The GME 4 1/2 foot tower should support a 22" whip no problem at all. Run a 20 foot long, 1 1/2" pipe down the middle and bolt the whip to it if you want to get it higher.
This should be guyed 2/3rd of the way up of course.

I don't understand why you can't have a push up mast bolted to the eaves of your house, but you CAN have a tripod mount and small yagi.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »

AD6KA's comment is exactly what's causing me to scratch my head.  A pipe up the side of the house, bracketed to the eave, could allow the same overall height as the tripod or roof tower with less expense and labor.  I don't understand why one would be allowed and the other not.

Either way, good luck.

(My money is also on the GME)

73 de Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: