The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Need info on how to get a TS 820 back on 10 m  (Read 879 times)
KE7LOY

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »

I purchased a Kenwood TS 820 at an estate sale a while back.  The rig is in good shape, except the band switching for 10 meters were modified to 11 meters (Citizen Band).  I would like to convert it back to 10 meters.  It's obvious the previous owner was not a Ham operator, but rather a CB operator who wanted 100 watts output.  But the rig works great on all Bands.  However, another thing:  the 15 meter switch doesn't work at all.
Can anyone out there help me:  Brian Croner KE7LOY
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »

Id repost in the boat anchor forum, your post may die here.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »

Somebody replaced the 10m band crystals with ones that change the frequency.  

Since the 820 is separated units for RX/TX, it may be something that needs to be done to both units IIRC.  

You would have to find the stock crystals for both units for the 10-meter band first.  

Just changing the crystals likely won't do the job either because they re-peaked the coils and trimmer caps for the 11-meter band -- that would mean replacing the crystals with the proper frequencies as the radio uses stock, then performing alignment on those bands.  

Service Manusal .pdf can be found here:

http://members.fortunecity.com/xe1bef/kenwood-manuals.htm

One time I ordered new 10 meter xtals for a convered FT-101EE rig in order to put it back to rights on 10 meters.  When the xtals arrived I put the radio on the bench and removed the covers and found the original 10 meter crystals taped inside the rig.  This was one exception out of way too many radios that were butchered to work on the Criminal Band, though.  But it would pay you to look first.  Xtals are not cheap, but you might find some for this rig by posting Wanted ads, somebody somewhere must have jars and jars of the original 10 meter xtals lying around, eh?

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »

hi brian,

come on over to this yahoo forum,
we can help you get it working again.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

most of the time they swap out the crystals
but don't bother with any alignments steps so
you may be lucky.

we've got manuals in pdf hires scans here (free)

http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: