Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Rotor does not turn  (Read 510 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2007, 09:37:18 PM »

If beams could enter beauty contests, this would be Miss Universe.

Background - Neighbor a few blocks away, stacked beam on a tower.  The lower horizontal beam radials look like minature pitch forks on the ends, or maybe like minature j poles; he's got another beam on top, and a bunch of other antennas around.  

I've been driving by there for several years, and the beam has never turned; always pointed the same dir.  

So, what comes to mind is to knock on the door maybe and tactfully ask if he wants to sell his tower and beams, etc.  On the other hand, I might piss the guy if he infers that I'm being disrespectful. So, I'm  trying to figure out how to ask.

Have any of you other readers run across similiar situations?  

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »

Well, I wouldn't ask right away when the door opened.

"Hiya doin', you a ham, I'm a ham, man, those antennas you got and that tower ought to really work some DX..."

Lead into it, maybe the person at the door will volunteer the information you are looking for.  

As for the beam always pointing one direction, well, I've known some old guys who leave it pointing at their favorite net or ragchew.  They've worked all everything and don't chase anymore.  

But you will never know unless you go ring the doorbell and shake hands.  

Good thing to know yer neighbors anyway, we need to get back to that kind of thing IMO.  

Luck,

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:34:41 PM »

There was a guy where I onced lived a while back who had a beam that also never moved.  Turned out he was a CBer who used it to talk to his brother in the next state via ground wave.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »

"Well, I wouldn't ask right away when the door opened.

"Hiya doin', you a ham, I'm a ham, man, those antennas you got and that tower ought to really work some DX..."

Lead into it, maybe the person at the door will volunteer the information you are looking for.

As for the beam always pointing one direction, well, I've known some old guys who leave it pointing at their favorite net or ragchew. They've worked all everything and don't chase anymore.

But you will never know unless you go ring the doorbell and shake hands.

Good thing to know yer neighbors anyway, we need to get back to that kind of thing IMO.

Luck,"

VERY GOOD ADVICE!!!!!!!!!

Stop in and say Hi!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:27:15 PM »

This is an easy one.

Carry a chain saw, pull the cord before you ring the doorbell.  Wearing a hockey mask would be a cool touch.

Okay, I'm kidding.

I'd definitely knock on that door.  Could be an inactive ham, a deceased ham (Silent Key), any number of things.  You don't know unless you ask.

Then, I've never been shy.

:-)

WB2WIK/6
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 06:19:31 AM »

The antenna you describe as having "pitchforks or J-Poles" is most likely a M2 KT-34 or 36. This makes the owner of said antenna a serious Ham. Those antennas are not inexspensive and are highly thought of by some.

As far as not turning, there are dozens of reasons. A local here in W. Kentucky checks into the same net everyday and never turns his beam. His interest in any other aspect of Ham Radio is nil.

I am with most of the others, knock on the door, introduce yourself and compliment him/her on the nice tower.

Clint - W5CPT
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »

Hey, thanks much for the advice; guess I could look him up by address and callsign and phone first.

I looked up the antenna M2 KT 36, it's the $1500 Killer-Tribander
http://www.m2inc.com/products/kt/kt36/
Guess I could speculate it's called "killer" 'cause the element ends look like pitchforks, or maybe it's the top tribander in existance today.  I dunno.

Yeah, if I showed up with a chainsaw, he's got a lot of pitchforks he could throw back Smiley  I'll take the best behavior advice.  

Yeah, he put some serious cash into it, plus the tower, plus another beam on top of the Killer Tribander - whew!  

73's
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »

My rotor controller parks the beam at the same location when turned off (direction of least wind resistance). It may appear that it is never moved to the casual observer.

73, de Lindy
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 11:24:43 AM »

Even if the tower and beam is in use you can't go wrong by meeting another active ham in the neighborhood...  

Hang out a bit and do a couple favors and you might find out that the KT36 replaced a tribander that's just sitting in the garage ;-)

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: