The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have needs  (Read 904 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:54:20 PM »

I have the FT857D and I want to get a turbo tuner for my tarheel. I also want to be able to use CAT and digital modes like PSK31 and RTTY and I eventually want to hook up an amp. What kind of setup is there so that I can plug all of those things. I am pretty sure that I will be able to use the amp with a rigblaster but how would the turbo tuner come into play with all of this? The turbo tuner hooks up to the cat jack on the back of the radio so where would I hook up the linear? Would I need a splitter or is there a cat jack on the back of the yaesu linear? I am quite confused about all of this?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:20:47 AM »

Computer --> Rigblaster --> radio --> amplifier --> tuner --> antenna
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:45:06 AM »

Computer --> Rigblaster --> radio --> amplifier --> tuner --> antenna.

The amplifier and the Rigblaster use the same plug if I'm not mistaken but i might be wrong. that is what i am confused about.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »

If you're going to use CAT and the amplifier at the same time, I think you need to hook up CAT via the microphone jack.  I think it gives up the use of the UP/DN buttons on the microphone, but allows you to use those lines for CAT control TX/RX lines.  So you make (or buy) an adapter to go between the mic and the mic jack that splits of TX/RX and ground.

See: http://www.k6xx.com/radio/ft857ser.pdf

As far as using the turbotuner AND the amp at the same time?  Hmm... I'm not sure you can do that.  I think the designers at Yaesu never expected someone to use a screwdriver and an amp and computer control all at the same time !

I think K6XX has the most complete site on interfacing with little Yaesu rigs that I've seen though.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:52:02 AM »

"I think the designers at Yaesu never expected someone to use a screwdriver and an amp and computer control all at the same time !"
So, I know my next radio WON'T be a Yaesu. If they didn't see that happening, I don't have allot of trust in their design insight.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »

"If they didn't see that happening, I don't have allot of trust in their design insight."

I don't think it's the engineers' fault.  They were designing a mobile/portable rig.  It just so happened that they also built the HF/VHF/UHF rig that you could buy brand new at the lowest price, so a lot of hams are buying them for home station use.

Then antenna restrictions make hams consider screwdriver antennas for home use...

- - - - - -

The way that I see it, you'd be using the following:

Amp + Screwdriver = high powered mobile installation
CAT + Tuner = low powered home installation under computer control
Amp + CAT = high powered home installation under computer control... you need a different tuner than the ones controlled by the rig because it needs to handle high power.

- - - - - -

I wonder if you *can* actually use all of them together with the proper cable adapter... I'm not familiar enough with the turbo tuner, but I wonder if Turbo Tuner + Amp use completely distinct pins on the CAT/TUNER/LINEAR connector.  If so, you just need to make a cable with the right pins going the right places for the back.  I think all you'd need for an amp other than Yaesu's amplifier would be the TX GND and ALC pins... and the ALC one is on the ACC jack, not the CAT/TUNER/LINEAR jack.

You can't design a radio for everything anyone would ever want to do with it.  I'd like to have the 4 bit band data available for antenna switching while still using CAT on the back panel so I can use the UP/DN lines and a set of paddles with the rig set on ELEKEY to send CW with the remote head out in the living room
while my antennas switch bands automatically when I do.

I can't do it.  You can't fault Yaesu's engineers for that...

The only place they'd expect someone to use a screwdriver and an amp is in the car, and then you shouldn't be using computer control, right?

Anyway, look in to the pin assignments.  Now that I think about it more, you MIGHT be able to do it... you'll just need some custom cables.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »

The RigBlaster can plug into the radio via the speaker and mic jacks.   This leaves other ports on the radio available for things like tuner and amps.  So the diagram that I showed should be correct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: