Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Front panel for Kenwood TM-V708A dual bander  (Read 613 times)
XE1BRX

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »

Hi everyone!, Unfortunately someone stole the front panel of my Kenwood TM-V708A mobile dual bander, I contact the dealer and also Kenwood directly and they told me that the front panel only comes with new radios, they don´t sell it separately, so I´ll really appreciate if someone knows how to get a used or new front panel, or if someone would sell yours from a broken or stolen main unit.

Thanks a lot!
Jonathan
XE1BRX
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:05:33 PM »

Try contacting Kenwood parts.

Dealers typically don't stock parts.  

I called Kenwood East Parts and they told me, "That isn't a part, you have to get that from a dealer."  

Ha.  What that means is that the dealer you talked to doesn't have it in stock, nor did they want to have to go through the trouble of ordering one for you.  

Pacparts Inc. in California is the west coast parts for Kenwood, I was told by Kenwood servicecenter here in Virginia near me that they are supposed to be able to order this as a part number.  They weren't any good either.  

Call to Amateur Electronic Supply in Las Vegas, nobody knew anything either, but I was given the following phone number as being, "The Kenwood Technician":  

310-639-4200

Don't know about "the technician" but this seems that it is also the phone number for kenwood amateur radio customer support in long beach california.  

I called, but after punching through several layers of menus to get to the customer support line, I got a recording asking me to leave my phone number so that customer support would call me back.  I hung up.  

Here in the states, the Moss Magnuson act is what I'd be thinking about right now, matter of fact, that is exactly what I'm thinking about right now.  

If you have trouble from where you are at, let me know here, we can play all day long when today's customer service gets our dander up and I have unlimited long distance calling here for one monthly fee.  

--KE3WD
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:03:37 PM »

hi jonathan,

sorry to give you bad news,
you'll need a new radio or the control head
from a dead radio.

page #3 of the kenwood manual reads
that no replacement control heads are available
in the event of damage or loss from theft.

http://inform2.kenwoodusa.com/Manuals%5CTM-V708A%20(K)-English%20O-M.pdf

not sure where you are located, perhaps insurance
will cover part of the replacement cost.

73 james
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »

Thanks for providing that info, James.  

"In the event theft or damage should occur, there are no replacement control head units available from Kenwood."

Someone here in the states might be able to invoke Moss Magnuson act on that line, but it would likely take awhile and maybe a lawyer to find joy.  

What it means to me is that I will never consider buying that rig and would advise others along the same lines.  

That is a ridiculous policy IMO.  

--KE3WD
XE1BRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:37:37 PM »

Thank´s a lot for your help guys!

KE3WD thank you for calling and investing your time looking for the part, I really appreciate it.
James, thanks also for your help, I did not realized that in the manual was established that. (And I read it, I have a bad memory)

Anyway, I already buy a new one and I will be more careful, but I´ll still try to find one control head from a dead radio as James suggests.

If I can be of any help, don´t hesitate, e-mail me, I´ll be glad to help you.

Jonathan
XE1BRX
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »

You are quite welcome sir.  Not a problem at all.

But I am thinking that Kenwood parts and service needs to get their act together on this one, the people at the other end of the phone should at least know what is said in that manual regarding front panel replacement.  

--Which is still an unacceptable policy AFAIC!  

I will be checking out the owner's manuals even more carefully on future buys, that is certain.  

Let your wallets do the talking...

KF6IDO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:40:05 PM »

I've heard that the RC2000 remote head for the TS2000 is functionally the same, and might work.  

The only problem is that they want the same price for the remote head as you would pay for a completely new TM-V708A!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: