Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio  (Read 927 times)
KF6BKA

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »

I've read a lot of posts on this site and the one thing that gets me is how we are so intolerant of others. This is a great hobby and a very broad one. I try to enjoy every mode that it has to offer (and I can afford Smiley It seems to me that there are those people who defend "thier mode" religously and feels that anyone doing any different is wrong and a waste of effort. I just can't understand this. If there are new people out there experimenting with different modes (for themselves mind you, not to introduce new tech to everyone) Why discourage them? Why berate them?

I don't care if the are winlinker, echolinker, packet, d-star, psk-31, cw, sbb HF, ssb VHF, 6m, 2m, 20m, whatever.. there are people who experiment with these things to learn for themselves. If you believe that packet is the best mode outhere and you run accross a FELLOW HAM who is learning about winlink then let him be.. and offer to HELP him try packet and see what that is like. If the individual doesn't like your mode for some reason then so be it.. let him continue learning about the hobby over all in peace.

We are such a divided hobby/service and being so intolerable WILL be the demise of it. These bands are a privilege so lets make use of them in anyway we can. If it uses a ham radio frequency then guys news flash.. ITS HAM RADIO!! It utilizes our frequencies and increases band usage. Good for us!

Now I know I will here a lot of negitive things because of this post and thats the shame of it all. Again this will be the example of how intolerant we are.  If you don't like "thier mode" then respectfully disagree and move on to your own thing. Not one reason in the world to personnaly attack anyone? Why its a hobby? You don't see stuff like that in the model airplane hobby, or the bowling leagues. Not with the hatred I have seen here.

For everyone not posting negitive comments look at those who will and remember this when you deal with the next ham who is doing something different and try not to be like them. They will be the ones to destroy the hobby by making newcomers feel unwelcome by berating them on the simplest quetions, by critizing the form they chose to participate in this hobby. I implore you all to look at how you treat people. Do you help or hurt?

Let the beatings begin Smiley
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 03:10:18 PM »

You chicken little's, it'll never happen.  Ham Radio serves its puropse as defined in part 97, provides a pool of tranined electronics people, and will be around for years and years.

This is an old, tired topic.  Quit beating a dead horse.  Waste of everybody's time.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »

KF6BKA de KE3WD

Right on, raht on, raht on.  

Hams have always been an opiniated bunch, but the last couple of decades seems to have taken the cake along these lines if you ask me.  More hassle than it seems worth sometimes.  Sign of the times, of a generation, certainly, where the ad hominem and personal attack passes for reasoned argument, personal problems and even downright psychosis are worn on the shoulder and the internet provides a place to practice such with virtual impunity for such people.  

Riley Hollingsworth, of course, has told us to turn the big knob.  

One day there will be no frequency left where you won't find these disgruntled and angry folks, though.  

My response is to keep trying to do the RIGHT thing whenever we can, lead by example and if for no other reason than to keep civility alive.  

SK
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »

Don't forget about all those poor CBers who get bashed all the time!
KF6BKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »

"You chicken little's, it'll never happen."

See thats what I am talking about. The point of my post is to be tolerant of others not that Ham Radios gonna die..lol So first post we resort to name calling.. thanks for making my point.
KF6BKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:00:35 AM »

This is an old, tired topic. Quit beating a dead horse. Waste of everybody's time

k so why did you post? You wasted your own time??
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:49:26 AM »

Looking for the rulebook about not posting old tired posts, can't find it...

VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »

Keep in mind that eham.net and qrz.com are not amateur radio; they're on the Internet. This is not ham radio, it's the Internet. Rudeness, intolerance, flaming, and fighting are present everywhere on the Internet. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the behavior of people here reflects the behavior of hams on the air. I've seen lots and lots nasty comments on ham radio forums, but very little of this kind of behavior on the air.  
KF6BKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:31:48 PM »

Keep in mind that eham.net and qrz.com are not amateur radio; they're on the Internet.

I do agree sir, but we all have to remember that people wanting to know about our hobby turn to the internet first to see what its all about. Just hate for this to be thier first impression. I know as a veteran ham I have asked questions here When I was getting started and got flamed badly because the question was in regards to echolink. I stayed with it cause I was already a member of a local club because of my brother and knew better. But what if this was it? Just saying that people need to be nicer because you never know whos on the otherside of the keyboard.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 07:36:58 AM »

My advice would be not to read the articles...period. Do not read the general subject articles...period. Read the equipment reviews, and specific subject forums, cw, qrp, elmers, dx. If you are looking for specific information on an amateur radio technical or operational matter, perform an internet search engine exercise.

There are yahoo groups devoted to specific radio matters, QRP, DX, and best of all, specific rigs. Having a problem with your xyz transceiver? Join a yahoo group and get some info and input. Want to know what is going on with amateur radio from an FCC or ARRL point of view? Read the ARRL site. You don't have to be a member to get a lot of current information.

There are other ways of getting and imparting information without getting into the hissy, scratch-your-eyes-out fights frequently found on this and the other amateur radio site.

Better idea, just get on the air. Learn by doing, reading, constructing. Don't let the amateur radio internet sour you on the hobby.
KF6BKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »

Yeah I know you are right on this. I just hate having such a dim view on humanity I guess. It really bothers me that people would choose to act like this. Maybe its just the way of the world now.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »

I say don't let a few bad apples get to you, Mr. Long.

Instead, lead by example and keep a thick skin about ya.  

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 12:15:27 AM »

Conflict is part of evolution.  At least it's better to argue about nonsense on the internet than to tie up all the airwaves where hams are trying to have decent QSOs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: