About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 764 times)
N2NXZ

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:06:18 PM »

I cant seem to understand the new phonetic alphabet lately.Sugar,India,Japan,Mexico,Santiago...etc?Using the country names are really confusing when trying to figure out where the station is from.Also,saying your call and following it with,"For station I.D"?Why else would you say your call?And today I have been hearing,"CQ CQ CQ 40 Meters on phone and standing by"?Holy cow.I wonder if they do that when sending CW.Usually if I hear you I can tell you are in PHONE mode.:)Maybe at least say,"LSB or USB phone"?Not only that,unless you are calling folks who do not have markings on the dial or frequency readouts to know what band you are on?How can one not know what band they are on?Not a complaint,but kinda weird how many cannot use the simple rules of Ham communications anymore.Actually,what kind of example is that for newcomers?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:33:01 AM »

"I cant seem to understand the new phonetic alphabet lately."

What NEW phonetic alphabet?  This is just an effort by someone to sound different and cool and falls WAY short of the mark in both.  

If you don't use the standard phonetics as a matter of course, you will be hard pressed to do it right when it REALLY matters.  Follow the old military motto: Train as you would Fight.

Dennis KG4RUL
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 05:33:40 AM »

I was being sarcastic when I said NEW.:)You make a great point.I am used to SIERRA,not SUGAR or SANTIAGO.The great thing about sticking with the proper phonetics is the fact its always the same with good results.Pretty simple logic.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »

More simple logic.......  The standard phonetic alphabet is known to radio operators, the fancy substitutes are not.  Use the substitutes and the reason for the use of the phonetic alphabet gets thrown out the nearest window.

The phonetic alphabet was instituted for clarifying spelling, use substitutes and you still may not be understood clearly.  Use the standard phonetic alphabet and 99 times out of 100 you will be.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »

I agree saying the HF band (and mode!) you are on is pretty silly - and stupid! It does have some value on repeaters because many folks leave their rigs on scan and it gives them a cnahce the catch whicf repeater before it starts scanning again.

<< Maybe at least say,"LSB or USB phone"? If you are on the wrong sideband, you won't hear them anyway. Smiley

"cutsy" phonetics are also stupid.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland - soon to be Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »

You say the band because some folks monitor
more than one, simultaneously, at the same
time.  On HF, now as I type this, I'm listening on
75, 20 (14300 kHz, so better not be any CQs),
17 and 10.  Also, 6, 2 and 70 cm and various
and sundry other HF and VHF frequencies.

A lot of hams do not use prowords when they're
finsihed transmitting and they equate a
call with OVER, so you say "callsign for ID"
when 9 minutes and some seconds has run
since you last ID'd and you need to ID
but you're not through with your transmission.
That way folks know you're gonna keep on talking.

73 de Ronnie
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »

For our local group on the repeater, we ID for "Uncle Sam", our repeater ID morse keyer.  Just our idea of a small in-joke, but I don't do that on HF, bandwidth is to precious to waste on that because it's not funny then.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:09:38 AM »

"I cant seem to understand the new phonetic alphabet lately.Sugar,India,Japan,Mexico,Santiago...etc"

I was hearing phonetics like you describe 40 years ago from DX stations. The phonetic alphabet is not standard in many places. One of the popular phonetic alphabets years ago with stations outside of the US used countries as phonetics. With the start of incentive licensing, I noticed more and more US hams started using non-standard phonetics. Now I hear stations using a mix of the old military, CB stuff along with international phonetics.

73, de Lindy
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:24:01 PM »

This is the result of large numbers of CBers who got ham tickets.  I even heard someone say "Good Buddy" the other day!
KF6PHV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 07:13:14 PM »

As a former CB'r (for 29 years!!) and a relative new ham (only 9 years) I was told when I got on 2 meters that "We don't talk that kinda talk on here; no 10-4's, no 10-20 codes, none of that talk.", so I quit using it, and never used it much the last 5 years anyway, preferring to use just plain old English, thank you.  Now, it seems I am hearing more hams using it on 2 meters.  Naturally, I've just GOT to key up between QSL's (must be the CB'r in me, yet!) and say ""work 20?Huh?" when they talk about where he works.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 09:55:59 PM »

Its just that callsigns ARE ID`s.There is nothing else they could be.To say "FOR ID" after you say your call I just dont understand.
EK6DO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 06:10:29 AM »

Try to pronounce "India" in Pakistan or "Whiskey" form any muslim country where alcohol is prohibited ... You'd be banned next morning! Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: