Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-ham spotlight station pictures  (Read 1097 times)
WB9URN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

Don Quixote here. I was into CB before the truckers started using it. Yes, before I got my Novice in '75.
Just like Amateur Radio, CB has it's jackasses.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 10:59:59 PM »

Some hams blast CBers, but I'd love to know how many of todays hams actually started out on the Chicken Band!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »

I did.  I don't have a great love for the behavior of certain CB types though... which is why I left.

Someone said somewhere that hobbyist CB is ***all*** about transmitting... where ham radio is more about contacting people, and that's why I made the switch.

When I listen to many CB hobbyists today I get a feeling like they're doing two way broadcasting.

On the other hand, I just tuned in for rhetorical reasons on Channel 38 LSB and heard "449" calling CQ 11 meters...  

I wonder if he's really in Australia...

Anyway, the scene on Channel 38 LSB tonight is pretty appealing... just ham radio without the callsigns.   I like DXers ...

Certainly a lot more going on on Ch. 38 tonight than there is going on on 12m or 10m.

I can't stand guys trying to key down on a frequency though...

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 01:19:40 PM »

There is a certain element of people on CB who actually do seem to be down to earth.  They operate on AM or SSB having conversations similar to what you'll hear on the ham bands.  Depending on where you are located, you may find 11 meters to be more active than ham frequencies.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »

"Depending on where you are located, you may find 11 meters to be more active than ham frequencies."

Yeah, well... I think that 12m and 10m are of limited appeal at this point in the SS cycle, and we have all the others to spread out in, whereas 11m + the freeband frequencies is the whole enchilada for those guys... maybe 25-28MHz with a little bleed into 12m and 10m.

There are many more AM CB sets out there than ham rigs... so at least on AM, the density of operators per MHz of bandwidth is likely much higher than ham radio HF.

When the sunspots were around I never had any problem finding activity on 10m, 28.000 to about 28.600 was packed with activity.  I bet 25-28MHz was even more so though ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA6BOB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 11:07:23 AM »

Dave.

CB rigs are a great way to catch 10 meter openings.

John  WA6BOB
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: