Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being Sued by Strata - Looking for advice  (Read 561 times)
VE7PBY

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »

My Father-in-law got home yesterday to find court papers - he is being sued by a neighbour for putting up an antenna. He lives in Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.

The problem with this strata is that it is not like most, the properties are all private, the only reason the strata is in place is because the 17 homes share a common septic system, so the strata fees cover the maintenance of this septic system. When they built the homes, they just adopted the cities general strata rules instead of drafting their own.

Now over the years, various home owners have ignored the strata rules (typical rules for a condo or townhouse development) and made changes to their homes or property, without so much as a peep.

Now the nieghbour is SO upset that her life is being ruined by this sight of this antenna that she cannot bear to look out her window (which looks into my father-in-law back yard. It's a GAP Titan if you want to know.

I am looking for any advice from anyone that has dealt with this type of issue. My view is that the strata was put in place for the septic system only and therefor should be modified to deal with that only. And since the others have broken the rules previously, that shows precidence.

Any lawyers out there, please comment.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »

With all due respect, if he is being sued, he needs to find a lawyer, NOW! Be sure to get one that specializes in real estate matters. I am sure he has a specific time frame in which he must respond to these charges, so don't wait!

DO NOT rely on any information you receive from someone who does not have a license to practice law in your area.

Call these people:
Radio Amateurs of Canada
720 Belfast Road
Suite 217
Ottawa, ON, K1G 0Z5
Telephone (613) 244-4367 between 10:00 a.m. to noon, and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. EST/EDST
Fax: (613) 244-4369.
Toll-free telephone: (877) 273-8304

Scott N0IU
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:17:07 PM »

I have to agree with the previous post, do not take the information from here but seek the advice of a professional, even though like me there are licensed Lawyers they will not be able to offer you advice or at least not advice which will stand up on court.  I'm sure there will be a good Lawyer in your area who can give you all the advice you need.

Charlotte 2E0BSS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: