Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took Riley's advice...  (Read 1108 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »

I took Riley's advice and just "turned the dial."

73, Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:31:13 PM by Bill Lauterbach » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:50:35 PM »

Why didn't you help the poor woman?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »

Maybe you should have gone up to the perp and yelled obscenities at him. After all, it's as much your sidewalk as his. Free speech and all that. Who cares if it terrifies the rest of the people in the neighborhood. If that doesn't work just throw a net on him. :-)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:47:44 PM »

You set a bad example.  Hams should ALWAYS help others in distress!  She was in effect calling a "Mayday", and you ignored her transmission!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »

Sorry Bill, this wasn't even slightly amusing--even if it was true.  There are those of us who don't just 'spin the dial', we do our best to try to help.

Nothing personal--but attitudes like that are the reason ham radio--and society in general--is going to he*l in a handbasket.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »

I'm sure Riley and Ol' Dave don't mean to imply that you shouldn't try to help someone who is in distress, whether on the radio or not. What they are talking about is not getting into on the air arguments with someone because you don't agree with what they say or think you have the current right to the frequency, or think you have been purposely QRMed.

I'm sure Riley doesn't have any problem with you silently collecting evidence, making recordings, etc. to send to the FCC if you think something is being done illegally.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:42:32 PM »

Point taken, Bob, but the EXAMPLE used just-wasn't-funny.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »

Unfortunately, Bill described a situation that really does happen all to frequently and is well documented in news story after news story.  

I'm a sheepdog type.

Don't try it where I can see you.  

That goes for muggin the old or on air regulation breaking.  

KE3WD
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:44:05 AM »

I'm afraid of what will happen if they replace him with a bed wetting liberal non-ham like the rest of the commission.

73, de Lindy
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »

It appears that somebody at the FCC is doing something. The latest ARRL bulletin lists 8 enforcement actions, 7 against licensed hams and one against a trucking company that was using 10 meters.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »

Idiotic trucking company.  Why didn't they just use 11 meters instead?
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 07:34:22 AM »

It seems the majority of FCC enforcement actions are against repeater abuses, very little on the HF spectrum.
ONLYON6METERS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »

an old lady being mugged can HARDLY be compared to a CBer invading 'anothers' territory, rude amateurs, etc.  'farting at an old lady convention' would be more of a metaphor of riley's words.  leave it to a veteran ham to predict the end of the world because of the influx of new hams.  oh, wait, i've been around for almost 10 years.  guess that doesn't make me 'veteran' enough, though.  my ex-CB friends are migrating to the ham bands now, and, yes, a few of them have made me cringe on occasion. but i don't 'turn the dial', i help them, coach them, school them, and if all else fails, i take 'em out back & shoot 'em.  it's my neighborhood as well as theirs & anyone elses.  a GOOD neighborhood watch has a 'presence' that keeps riff-raff, if not totally at bay, at least in check. and the neighborhood lives on in idyllic manner, much like a mark twain story.  or was that disney?  maybe you guys should see it MY way and NOT rileys.  
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »

Well, that makes two of us, Bill.  

Oh yeah, Foxtrot Charlie2 really enforced the regs on that trucking company alright.  

They sent them a letter!  

I call Bravo Sierra.  

On a related note, why is it getting so warm here in this handbasket?

KE3WD said that.

!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »

>>>Point taken, Bob, but the EXAMPLE used just-wasn't-funny.
-------------------------------------------
It wasn't meant to be funny.
It was meant to be damn serious....<<<

OK, Bob, it was meant to be serious.  Your further posting took that away.....  If it was meant to be serious, why did you continue the 'kidding'--

---and my tongue is NOT 'in cheek'......
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: