Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a doctor in the house?  (Read 1035 times)
KD0EXQ

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »

First the good news:

I am now temp General. Next step -- learn code!

After looking at the advice given earlier, I made a leap of faith and bought a Kenwood TS-530s from a private party.  Was presented as a lightly used, stored for some time, unit.  Works wonderfully on recieve -- in the few days I've had it I've pulled in stations from Florida, California, Utah, and Washinton state. Clear, strong signals on 20M.

Now the bad news:

I set up the AF and RF gain as the manual said. for receive.   Located a station.  Needle on meter did not move, stays pegged to the left.  Tried to adjust the drive to get max needle deflection (per directions) -- nothing.  That was my first clue. The only way I can get the needle to move to the right on recieve is to turn the RF gain counter-clockwise. As I said, I can still pull in some strong,clear signals from both coasts (I live in IA).

Next I tried to set up for transmit.  Followed directions and got the proper bias as in the manual (the needle did move on this).  Then onto the next step.  Needle stays pegged to the left. Stopped here.
Looked at the troubleshooting part of the manual -- no help there.

I am beginning to suspect the drive (12BY7A) tube is bad.  Is this one of those "duh" moments?  The seller told me it was working "perfect" the last time he used it, working CW on 40M.

Any suspected diagnoses, doctors?

AA9XY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:44:52 AM »

Did you try to tune it up in "tune" mode, or in SSB mode?  If you try to tune it up in SSB mode, you'll get nothing.  On my old TS-820S, you would check the bias, then set the meter switch to "plate" (or some such, I forgot what the marking was on the switch) and tune for the dip.  Then, you would load up the final for max power....then switch to CW, and load up the final/check the dip for full output.  

It's been a while, but that's what I remember doing, and I think your TS-520 is the same way.

Alex
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:58:25 AM »

If you bought from an individual in person you should have gotten him to demonstrate (assuming you know nothing about operating the rig) the operation of the rig and its condition, otherwise check it out yourself if you are knowledgable.  
Since the meter has an associated switch you need to tell us which position the switch was in.  When testing an unfamilar or new (to you)rig you should always use a dummy load for tranmission tests.  Usually you begin by using CW for testing and tuning.  In SSB you only get a signal out when you speak into the microphone.  
The S-meter will only indicate correctly when the RF gain is fully clockwise.  Turning the dial CCW will eventually cause the meter to read upscale.
Any equipment that has been sitting unused for some time may well have problems due to moisture, dryed lubrication, and who knows what else.  Insects or rodents may have been at the guts.  
Switches and controls may need cleaning.
Your best bet is to get some local ham with a knowledge of the TS-530 (or TS-830 as they are very similar) to give the rig a trial run and instruct you on use and tuning.
Good Luck
Allen  
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:33:06 AM »

Don't take my comment wrong, but as Alan said and as I have been saying for years, an hour spent with an experienced HAM is worth 1000 replies on the Elmer's Forum.

Dick  AD4U
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »

Hi Richard,

Great radio, if you can receive on the bands,
then the radio may be just fine.  sometimes
the shaft couplers made of plastic fail and
need to be replaced.

the radio may need a little tlc,
cleaning of the wafer switches with Deoxit
contact cleaner.  these radios do not like to
sit idle, they want to be on the air!

don't want to be a wise guy,
can you check the sg (screen grid) switch
at the rear of the radio, is it in UP position ?
w/o this you will get no output.

are you using a mic or key ?
if the key is plugged into the radio you must
key down when tuning up in TUNE and CW mode.

here is a great group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »

You meter will remain at rest on the left had side until enough energy moves it up.  

A meter becomes "pegged" when the current it is designed to handle is exceeded, forcing the needle against the stop peg on the right.

One can hear, very clearly, some signals that don't make an S-meter jump around, especially if you are using just a random piece of wire as an antenna.

On the "low-bands" strong S-mete readings may not indicate much, since the QRN can be quite high.  Some times, you'll hear people giving a sig report of 39 in S8 QRN.

Bob

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »

hi richard,

be sure to set the AGC switch to SLOW or FAST
otherwise no meter movement in receive.

73 james
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »

>RE: Is there a doctor in the house?       Reply
by AD4U on September 26, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Don't take my comment wrong, but as Alan said and as I have been saying for years, an hour spent with an experienced HAM is worth 1000 replies on the Elmer's Forum.

Dick AD4U<

::I disagree!  Make it two hours, though, and then I'd agree.  It takes more than an hour to de-brainwash most folks.

Also the TS-530S won't transmit at all if the HEATER switch is off or the PA screen grid switch is off (this is switched off only to neutralize the PA, otherwise it should always be ON) -- refer to the manual...

WB2WIK/6

K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »

hey guys,

there is nothing wrong with the way this person bought and is trying to get the rig going.

My friend, if you live in southern california., you can bring it over to my house, or better yet., i will come to your house and help you get it going.

THAT IS WHAT HAM RADIO IS ABOUT.

Kevin Rea
K6REA
palmdale, calif.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

hi Richard,

can you tell us what the
meter reads for HV ?

meter in HV, mode to tune, send switch up.
radio must be in transmit to read HV.

73 james
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 11:17:43 PM »

Have you been able to get your rig running?  

Are you on the air yet?

Bob
KD0EXQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »

Thanks to all that replied.  I had read and re-read the directions prior trying to set up to transmit. After getting all the responses, I read again, and again, and yes, I am following the directions, as everything is switched to the correct place, knobs are turned to the right place, as per the directions and still not much happening.

When in tune, and the meter switch to ALC, I get a little bump to the right with the needle, but then it immediately drops back to the left (0). Moving drive does nothing.

When in tune, and the meter switch is to Ip, Plate indicator to the correct band, the needle does not move.  If anything, it moves a little to the left. Moving the plate knob does not move the needle.

In tune, meter switch to RF.  No needle movement when Load is turned

Mode to CW.  Meter to Ip.  Close key.  Needle to about 75 mA.  Moving the plate knob/indicator does not move the needle. Open key

In tune, meter to RF.  Close key.  No movement of needle when Load control is moved. Open key

In tune, meter to HV.  Flip send switch.  Needle moves to the right, to about 9 (on the scale that reads 0 to 10 (10x100v).  

N2CST

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 03:58:18 AM »

The owner's manual makes little mention of the carrier control's involvement in the tune up process. It is necessary to adjust the carrier level up. The carrier level is the drive adjustment to the PA. Try turning the carrier level up about 2 increments from full counterclockwise, and try the tune up again. It may be necessary to reduce the carrier level to stay below 265 ma.

Wilson, N2CST
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »

Hi Richard,

ok, hv looks good !

when in TUNE mode, meter will not read any
power out, it is about 2 watts or so,
you need to be in CW mode with dummy load
attached so you can key up and check the
RF output on your meter.

I agree with Wilson, you may need to increase
the Carrier control when in CW mode to tune up.

Hang in there, you're almost on the air !

73 james

In tune, meter switch to RF.
No needle movement when Load is turned
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: