Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "SMOKING" vs "NON-SMOKING" Env  (Read 3453 times)
K4VDH

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »

Although the issue of ham equipment exposed to a "smoking environment" vs a "non-smoking" may have been addressed previously, I have yet to find it! If it is, please direct me to the correct forum/link. If not, then I am requesting specific "FACTS" relative to these two issues. Please: "NO OPINIONS"!!!! I am seeing more and more ads with "non-smoking" in them. Both buying and selling. Help me out here? I just do not know what this has to do with selling or buying? I have sold and bought many different items for the past 10yrs, now. I posted an ad yesterday. It just so happened this one was in my mobile. I do not smoke in my mobile. However, all of the rest of my equipment is exposed to a "smoking environment"!!! So, if you see an ad posted in the future by me, you should already know the answer in the previous statement!! Thanks,
Jerry         KF4UJA  
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:19:16 PM »

Jerry,

You said in your post:

"Please: "NO OPINIONS"!!!! I am seeing more and more ads with "non-smoking" in them. Both buying and selling. Help me out here? I just do not know what this has to do with selling or buying?"

I will make two points. First the fact is that I will not buy a radio or accessory that came from a "Smoking Enviorenment", so that fact is very relevent to me. I am sensitive to cigarette & cigar smoke, having been a smoker in the past (quit when I had my first heart attack). Many, if not most smokers, are unaware of the odor emitted by equipment from a smoking enviorenment  when it heats up especially if it has a cooling fan that draws the air & smoke into the equipment.  Equipment from a smoking enviornment retains the smell of the smoke for a very long time and removal can be next to impossible.

Secondly when I post an item for sale and list it as from a Non-smoking enviornment, I am making the item more appealing to those who hold the same opinion as I do about equipment. I and others who share my view consider Non-smoking enviorenmet equipment worth more than items that were exposed to smoke.

So it has a lot to do with both buying and selling.

Clint - W5CPT
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »

In dealing with older equipment, I too prefer stuff from a non-smoking environment; trying to clean years' worth of tobacco smoke residue from the insides of a radio is a grimy, nasty job.

In addition to the deposits on everything, the smoke can wreak havoc with exposed switch contacts such as bandswitches by corroding the contacts, providing flashover paths, promoting arcing, etc.

Radio exterior condition suffers from smoke exposure, also; it leaves a film that can be quite difficult to remove without removing the panel markings at the same time.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

I too will not purchase any equipment from a smoking environment because it smells like old stale tobacco smoke, the tars and residuals from heavy tobacco smoke gums up the switches, dials, and controls, and it is virtually impossible to remove that odor and residue from an older transciver, much less the newer rigs.  The older gear is much easier to get somewhat clean because of the non-complexity of the gear. However, I can't see someone taking an Icom IC7800 or Yaesu FT-9000 to the backyard picnic table and washing down the insides with household cleaner, which I've done to Yaesu FT101's with success.  To me, tobacco smoke stinks and it is worse if you have allergies, as the odor continues to be released over time as the residue cooks on the heatsink for the finals.  If you like to smoke around your gear, more power to you, as long as you are honest when you sell so the next guy will know what he is getting, that's great. You might even find purchasers who smoke and prefer to have gear that you have already added extra "magic" smoke.

KK4BH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »

Jerry,

I too would not buy any radio equipment from somebody who smokes. Previously a smoker, I stopped about 25 years ago. When I'm around people who smoke it makes me think that I used to smell like that. Not a very pleasent thought.

One of my daughters, now grown and never smoked, dated a guy who did smoke. She would no sooner walk in the house after several hours on a date, our home reeked of smoke. Imagine a intricate piece of radio equipment exposed to several years of this. No thanks!

Ken
KK4BH
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:04:57 PM »

I will buy your old working (and sometimes nonworking( rig regardless of tobacco environment.

For less money, of course, now that it has become such a critical issue that the nonsmoker's radios are in such apparent demand.  

And then I shall proceed to clean it up.  

My cleaning mehods shall remain proprietary.  

KE3WD
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:49:52 PM »

Smoking rigs are only OK if you don't mind second hand stink!
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 05:52:52 AM »

am requesting specific "FACTS" relative to these two issues. Please: "NO OPINIONS"!!!!

OK just the facts.  Since you live in a smoking environment, you do not know that there is a huge very noticable difference between equipment that was in a smoking environment versus one that was not.

That smoke permeates everything and it reeks.

The only way you can tell for yourself is to live in a non-smoking environment for about a year (and no smoking for yourself also) and then you will know the difference.

Equipment from a smoking environment REEKS big time and usually is very sticky if not even yellowed from the tar.

This will make a big difference in the value of the equipment when it comes time to sell and is a deal breaker when I want to buy equipment.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:26:25 AM »

So, if you see an ad posted in the future by me, you should already know the answer in the previous statement!! Thanks,

I'd suggest that you list your future sales as such.

Also future buyers don't forget to ask if the seller has already exposed this fact.  Doing so will just save future heartache in case either party feels they were misled.
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »

Both my wife and I are ex-smokers and we detest (fact) the stink (opinion) of tobacco smoke residues.

I bought a TS-830S used, on eBay. I didn't think to ask about smoking & don't recall that information having been offered in the ad. My bad. The exterior was slightly discolored, and when powered up, the distinct smell of tobacco smoke residue was obvious until I sold the rig almost two years later. Since then "non-smoking environment" is a basic requirement for anything I buy.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »

Keep pushing the price of those tobacco stained pieces of gear ever downward, please.  

There are those who know how to properly clean 'em up.

KE3WD
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »

I hear dropping equipment that is from a smoking enviroment into a bucket of sheep dip gets rid of the smoke smell AND as a secondary benefit gets rid of fleas!!!

D
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »

Jerry,

As I light up my Pall Mall, I think about all the rigs I have given away over the last 40 years. I never sell equipment, just give it to someone that needs it. NEVER had anyone turn it down because it came from a smoker.

73, de Lindy
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »

<< As I light up my Pall Mall >>

You are OLD! I didn't know they were still making that brand. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »

Lon,

I'm so old that my first smoke came out of a C-ration box. Lucky Strikes in the green pack, although it was WWII re-issue in 1963. (:-)

73, de Lindy
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: