Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "SMOKING" vs "NON-SMOKING" Env  (Read 3172 times)
AE6RO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »

Does WHAT they were smoking affect the selling price?
Heh, heh. 73, John
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »

If equipment has been exposed to a smoking environment it will just plainly stink. And have this yellowish crap all over it when you try to get it off. But of course you just can not submerge the whole radio in the kitchen sink for 30 min in some sort of solution to try to get it off of  the inside will still stink. If I saw a Kenwood TS-870 on e-bay for $1200.00 in mint condition and then they said was in a smoking environment, to me its value would be near junk status. It means that much to me for any equipment be in a non smoking environment
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »

<< Does WHAT they were smoking affect the selling price? >>

Only in their own mind. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »

<< If I saw a Kenwood TS-870 on e-bay for $1200.00 in mint condition and then they said was in a smoking environment, >>

That's a contradiction. Mint, no matter how eBay'ers use it, means unused, right out of the box. There is virtually NOTHING for sale in mint condition. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K4VDH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »

OK, OK gentlemen/ladies and my fellow "HAMS"!! I agree with both the pros and the cons!!!!! I truly appreciate all of you who have taken your time and effort to reply to this issue. It's an issue with some and not an issue with others!!!! Again, I thank all of you so very much for your INPUT!!!
Jerry
KF4UJA            
KF6IHL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »

I have found that an ozone generator placed next to the in vent on any electronics will quickly remove tobaco smoke smells.  You can rent industrial ozone generators at cleaning supply stores.  Placing a generator in a car will also remove the smell.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »

The critical issue is NOT the smell. There are several ways to "de-scent" a radio.

The problem is the tar and nicotine residue to permeates virtually every surface of the radio. This can be destructive to some components and is a real problem to remove in most cases.

I appreciate folks being honest about a radio's condition, but if it comes from a smoking enviroment, it had better be something I DESPERATELY want before I will buy it.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »

Well, there are smokers who dont smoke while on the air with their Rigs, so it's not as though everyone that smokes, sits there blowing smoke rings into their equipment (laughing) and while we are at it we might as well say anyone who eats Garlic, or has "B-O" should be added to the list as well...Heck lets throw in, if you drive a Yugo, we dont want to buy anything thats been in that thing either, wait a minute...wait a minute...if you wear ear-rings in both ears and fruit of the looms on backwards, we might not want to touch that, either!!!! Hahahahahahaha....wait a minute!!!!! 73
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »

I will NOT buy an hf ham radio from someone who:

Drinks Booze-Alcohol stink from breath on mic.

Pet owners-Hair inside on circuit board.

Is a Liberal-Hillary Clinton stickers all over rig.

Is a germaphobe: Cleaned so much, lettering rubbed
off face.

Is a Tech: Pwr tubes/transisters rotting from lack of
use.

Is a CB'er: Its stolen.

Works at Radio Mart: Everything they sell is Like new,
until you get the rig and open the box.

Is a militant in Iraq: Explosive vest included-
God is Great!

Manufatured it after 1990: Need an engineers degree to
operate.

Has diahrea: Self explanatory.