Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: someone might be using my call!!!  (Read 761 times)
NR5P

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »

My dad who is studying for his test but listens quiet often told me he heard someone using my call.  I was hoping he might be mistaken but he said he heard the guy spell it out in phonetics.  he said around 12:45 pm october 29th on 7.245 he said the guy was saying he was from columbia, tx.  Just wandering if anyone else by chance have heard this guy.  I've been inactive for a little while and am about to be on the air again and stay on the air this time, I don't want some idiot to mess it up for me.  What is the proper course of action for something like this?  
Thanks, Nathan NR5P
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:26 AM »

"I've been inactive for a little while and am about to be on the air again and stay on the air this time, I don't want some idiot to mess it up for me."

No one can mess it up for you.  

If you do hear him on, record him and send it to the FCC, otherwise don't worry about it.

The real you will make more contacts than the fake you.

That said, every time I've ever thought I heard a bootlegger/pirate in the states, it's been a mistaken-copy problem.

There's a NR5T in Columbus, TX... you sure your Dad got it absolutely right?

I know "Tango" and "Papa" don't sound anything alike, but maybe he was using cute phonetics or something.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WM2P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »

I have run across a few hams using other people's call signs. In the NY metro area this is more common than you may think both on repeaters and HF. I have caught a few that gave themselves away after a while by saying something that proves they are not who they say they are or show no knowledge of the town they supposedly live in. Had one who forgot his last name once and another who forgot what city he initially told me he was transmitting from. Sometimes it is fun to trip them up with carefully worded questions until they disappear. When confronted they all vanish.

The funniest incident was someone who came on a local repeater and when pressed to provide his call sign by a group of us (since it seemed that he did not know what he was doing) he finally replied by saying they call him Big Charlie. Smiley When asked why he was on the ham bands he simply said that he bought the HT from a friend used but the friend did not show him how to use it yet.

Not much to do about it other than get on the radio more. Most of these people use the internet to find their list of call signs and then listen and use the ones that they never hear on the air. There are plenty of those. No one in my region would get away with using my call for very long because I am very active on the radio. The expression use it or lose it may fit in these kind of cases. Smiley
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »

Most likely your father just miscopied the phonetics. It's easier to do than you think when signals are weak or being interfered with. I once spent almost ten minutes mishearing "zulu" as "tango" for a weaker station I was trying to work, even though he was using standard phonetics throughout. I think it would be easy to confuse "papa" and "tango" under poor conditions, too.
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »

check out NR5T...and he does live in Columbus Texas, so aparently it was just a misunderstanding in how the call was heard.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 05:03:13 AM »

Never go into a fight with a caliber that starts with a number lower than 4.
NR5P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:20:29 PM »

ok, im sure that was it.  It makes since maybe the other guy spelled out the phonetics and got confused to.  No problem.  Thanks alot for everyones help and info. This is an incredible sight and can't wait to get my mobile goin in the semi so I can be on the radio nonstop mon-thur.  It is one plus to the job I have right now.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 08:29:42 AM »

If I were you I would send Riley Hollingsworth of the FCC an email on that.  Just to protect yourself in case the guy using your call gets into trouble with the FCC.  At least you would be on record as being a law-abiding citizen.
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »

I've heard it over hear in england it seems to be mainly CB users or unlicensed going into stores and buying Radio units and Ebay they buy them there. It's easy to figure out that it's a fake call as they will slip up or use a set of letters which haven't been issued

Charlotte 2E0BSS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: