Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Yaesu 857D and 897D  (Read 2075 times)
KB5YEG

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »

Does anyone know the difference between these two radios other than portability.  I am considering buying one for a base rig because it covers 6m and vhf/uhf and the price is within my budget.  I guess what I want to know, are these the same radio in different packages.  I am also considering a Icom IC 706M2G.
Thanks, KB5YEG
KC9IMT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »

I own both of these rigs (and love both of them, by the way) and the functionality is identical.  There are a couple cosmetic differences...

The biggest difference is the 897D has the internal bays for either batteries or an internal power supply.  The 857D, on the other hand, has a removable face plate.

I use the 897D as a base rig and the 857D in the mobile, with the ATAS-100.  No regrets, contacts all over the world... works pretty good local too.  hi hi hi  :-)

73 de W9BKO,
--
-Chris
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:00:59 PM »

they are supposed to be the same on the inside.  I like the bigger box of the 897 for fixed station use, but I've got big hands, like big knobs and have plenty of station space for a full sized radio box.

Except for a mobile station install, I'd buy the bigger one.  Get the LDG tuner that bolts on the side and you have a great field radio as well.
KB5YEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »

well if functionality is the same I think i will go for the 857 as is is about $100 cheaper and on sale at Gigaparts, under $700. I really don't need the internal battery compartment.  I have a MFJ 35 amp powersupply to run it on.
Thanks for your reply.  
Carlos Ingram, KB5YEG
KB5YEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:29:22 PM »

decisions decisions!  You are probably right the bigger knobs whould be better for me too, eyesight not like it used to be. I have the space for the larger radio too.  We have a Hamfest coming next month and maybe there will be something to look at and i will also upgrade from Tech to General.
Thanks
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 08:48:23 PM »

I have both.  The 897 is more expandable. I have the LDG tuner on my 897.  My 857 is my mobile rig and it's worked flawlessly since I purchased it when they were first introduced.

The menu system is one of the easiest in radio.  Many of the items are set and forget.  The worst feature is that the rf power is controlled via menu.

If I had to sell one - it would be the 857 even though I'd regret it.  The larger buttons, internal batteries/power supply and bolt-on tuner are just too much to let go.  

I have both a 300hz cw filter and 1800hz ssb filter in my 897 and it's a very nice rig.  Both rigs when filtered are actually good contest radios.  And they are truly reliable.  

One great feature is that if you spend 250.00 for filters - you can place them in both rigs as long as you don't use them simultaneously...
N0NOB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 05:19:04 AM »

Only differance with the two rigs that has not been mentioned. The FT-897D comes with the TCXO-9 installed.
Have the FT-857D installed mobile, nice radio.

Irv
N0NOB
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 07:56:57 PM »

The speech processor in that whole line  FT897, FT857, FT817 is an afterthought and actually can make SSB transmit audio worse; set it carfully if used.  Also the mic shipped with these rigs needs modification to eliminate muffled audio (pinhole in the mylar over the element).

Note:  the RX in this series is marginally acceptable but a big desktop like a TS2000 runs circles around the FT series in receiver performance - you can hear things with the TS2000 that can't be heard on the FT series.

Otherwise the FT 817, 857 and 897 are good rigs.  Oh, if you run CW get the optional 300 hz filter, without, CW is impossible - way too wide.
WU6X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »

I have the 857D and just love it. However, BE SURE you like menu-driven radios instead of buttons, as these radios are very-much computer based. And, they do NOT come factory optimized, so require some tweaking of the menu settings.

For example, one post here says the rig is too wide on CW. Simply resetting (and using) the DSP "DBF" setting to 250hz when working CW is more than an acceptable fix to installing extra filters.

Working with DSP settings has made this little radio really shine on SSB and CW. 73, WU6X
KC9IMT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:35:11 AM »

Finally, a post that I 110% agree with.  I have the 3rd party CW and SSB filters in the 857D and the CW filter in the 897D...  I never use them.  I'm wondering why I got them!

The DSP is amazing - with the proper time put into the setup of the rig, I agree, they can be just as good, if not better than these expensive chips.

--
-Chris
W9BKO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: