Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KY Law regarding school  (Read 1252 times)
KI4JGT

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:59:25 AM »

OK, the school I used to go to allowed me to pack my radio as long as it didn't disturb class. (I keep it off anyway!); but this new school in KY is refusing to allow me to pack it saying it will be siezed if packed. From a legal stand point am I allowed to pack it and if so, what law says so?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »

Schools can make and enforce their own rules and likely considers an amateur hand held to be the same as a cell phone or anything else that might be a disturbance.

There's nothing Federal about this.

We have similar rules here in Los Angeles, even pertaining to cell phones and (although I haven't specifically checked this) likely extending to hand held transceivers as well.

WB2WIK/6
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »

No, seems like you are making friends right off the bat too.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »

With all due respect, other than lunch time and recess, when do you have time to be on the air?

Leave the HT at home and concentrate on your school work.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:29 PM »

They may feel that some kids would use a communications device to sell drugs, cheat on tests, etc.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 05:52:23 AM »

<< They may feel that some kids would use a communications device to sell drugs, cheat on tests, etc  >>

Ya think? Several kids were suspended in a school in the area for texting the a test answers to each other.

They should have flunked the class!!!!

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:26:26 AM »

I can remember when calculators were not allowed.

Slide rules were OK.
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »

If you "keep it off" all the time, why even take it to school?  If you want it to be accessible in case of an natural disaster or something like that... Or you feel you have to have it on the trip to and from school, then perhaps you can "arrange" with school officials to check it in (leave it) with the office, then pick it back up after school. If you explain Amateur Radio to them from the emergency preparedness angle, they might go for it.  However, since you obviously don't drive yourself (or you'd leave the radio in the vehicle) then there's the problem of convincing the bus driver.  Since, according to QRZ you won't be born until 2011, you have ample time to work out the details before this actually becomes a problem.  By the time you reach school age, the school officials who are fighting this will be dead a gone, and you'll have a new set of attitudes and personalities to deal with.
best of luck in your future.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:37:10 AM »

>>Since, according to QRZ you won't be born until 2011, you have ample time to work out the details before this actually becomes a problem.<<

There is a bug in the QRZ entry about the birthdate.  

Doesn't happen to everybody, might be due to browser choice, setup, ISP, whatever, but it is there.

Sometimes the birth year entered changes on you after accepting it on the first entry try, typically by 10 year increments.  

It had me as being ten years younger.  

If someone experiences this, they can go back into it and edit it to be correct, typically on the second try it works.  

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »

It's difficult to judge the intended tone in an electronic message, but a post that starts with "OK, the school I go to....." sounds to me that your approach is already one of confrontation.  If that tone prevails in your conversations with the school staff, I'd bet your chances of getting a favorable decision from them would be small at best.  On ANY topic.

Terry, WØFM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »

hi jesse,

you could try and start a school radio club,
unless there is one already.

another route would be to write a paper on
amateur radio and public service including Skywarn
and present it to the Principal for consideration.
you could obtain permission to carry the ht and
only use it in an emergency.

Downside is somebody could steal the ht and then
you won't have it anymore.

73 james

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »

Wow, don't get me started about paranoia today - I used to wear a Buck folding knife on my belt.  To school.  Every day.  No one said a word, ever.  Times change eh?

I'd say that if you carry your radio in your pack, turned off and leave it there, no one will notice, so why worry about it?  Better, IMHO to ask forgiveness than permission, esp. since it's not in any way shape or form a dangerous object to anyone.  Carry a copy of your license with you.  If questioned, note that you have not bothered anyone with it.

As to the other comments:  School can be boring enough.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:16 PM »

When I was a kid going to school back in 1974, I once brought a Fannon walkie talkie to school. Well to make a long story short, they told me I couln't bring it to school because the antenna  could poke someone's eye out.

As a kid back then, it seemed everything you owned would poke out your eyes in those days. Smiley

Things haven't really changed that much. Today they just have a list of newer list of reasons why you can't do things.

Starting a radio club in your school might get you favorable results, however, I suspect that might take a lot of hard work and time you might not exactly have on your hands.

It's not that they are suggesting it's illegal for you to carry a radio to school in general. It's just that when you are attending a school, you are conducting yourself according to thier house rules.

In fact, they could go as far as to request you not to wear purple shoes and tinfoil on your head when attending class for that matter. Smiley

You still must comply with such requests. So, it's really not about the "radio" itself per se. It's about what they consider as conduct which is acceptable and not acceptable in thier own opinion.  

It doesn't matter whether or not they understand your particular reasoning behind why you wish to carry the device. I know this is unfortunate, but perhaps they have an underlying reason behind this that we don't quite understand.

They really don't have to make an appointment with anyone, sit them down at a UN conference in Geneva and thoughly explain thier reasoning and position in great detail on the matter to anyone either.

GL de Charles - KC8VWM

kc8vwm.qsl.nu
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:32 PM »

The Radio Amateur's Creed

The Radio Amateur is:

1)  Considerate...never knowingly uses the air in such a way to lesson the pleasure of others.

2)  Loyal...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to their fellow radio amateurs, their local radio club, and to the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio is represented.

3)  Progressive...with knowledge abreast of science. It is well-built and efficient. Operating practice is above reproach.

4)  Friendly...slow and patient sending when requested, friendly advice and counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are marks of the amateur spirit.

5)  Balanced...radio is their hobby. They never allow it to interfere with any of the duties they owe to their home, job, church, school, or community.

6)  Patriotic...their knowledge and their station are always ready for the service of his country and their community.

No, these are not regulations nor laws.  

A Creed such as this on just stipulates some good solid things to live by and strive for in life.  

Number 5 applies here.  

Your education is what is the most important thing in your life right now, focus on that, it is a temporary thing and will pass all too soon and become a period of your life you may look back on affectionately or not -- and that depends on you and what you do with it.  

Make the very best grades that you can, become successful and you will not only have the rest of your life to enjoy the Amateur Radio hobby, very likely you will be able to afford the very best in equipment, real estate for antennas, vehicles for mobiles and whatever else the future may hold for you.  

Plenty of time to work the bands outside of school for right now.  

If you are a bona fide member of an emergency radio network, ARES, RACES, SATERN, etc. -- and are also indispensible to the volunteer team, then take it up with both your parents and school principle to seek a possible solution so that you can have access to your radio in the event of an emergency.  

Otherwise, leave it at home like they have told you to do.  

KE3WD

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »

KE3WD, well said, steeped in wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: