Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butt Ugly QSL cards  (Read 3902 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:29:47 AM »

My QSLs are gold embossed and printed on a plastic base with a 3D image on them using luminescent inks!  They cost me $6 a piece in bulk, so what are you complaining about dude?
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 03:54:07 AM »

My favorite qsl card came from an xyl.
Her first ever cw contact.
a 35 minute long exchange of name, RST, qth, wx on 80m....5wpm or less.
The exchange info was typed ( you know...from an old-fashioned type writter ) on an index card.

If I ever frame and hang a qsl card....it WILL be that one.

Matt
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 05:00:18 AM »

Actually, home-town picture post-cards are more expensive than printed QSLs. Can go for as much as a buck each. Hardly the card of choice for a cheapskate.

I've seen photographs of QSLs from the 1920s and most of them look like they were printed in the operator's basement on his little press.

The QSL card was sent to acknowledge the marvel of a two-way contact. A work of art was not expected in the mailbox.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 06:55:04 AM »

Who would put their UGLY BUTT on a QSL card anyhow?
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »

Actually the crew at N5UDE, no kidding! Rather tastefully done too.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 07:58:07 AM »

Hi Vince:

Regarding this: One meathead sent me an actual postcard form his hometown with labels on the back for the QSO info.

I used to be a meat head and do this to!  I remember when I was in college and working DX from the Duquesne University Ham Radio Club that we had a bunch of post cards with a pic of Downtown Pittsburgh on it (taken from what is known around here as the West End Overlook, which is a maginficent view) and I purchased some adhesive transparent stickers with the club call on them for the upper left corner of the card, transparent address stickers for the lower left corner of the card, and some stickers for filling qso info for the back of the card, stuck them on to the post card, and presto!  Instant QSL Card! I am curious to know why this is a problem?Huh?

On receving cards, I have received the most elaborate, to the most cheap axx (like the qsls that many ops from the ex communist countries sent. With that low grade rough edge paper, remember?  I still get cards like that from Cuba!--A lot of those are butt ugly!).  And everyone I get, I save in my QSL card shoe box, regardless of what they look like.  I for one would like to do a picture qsl card at some point for myself.  QSLs are fun regardless of what they look like!  

Vince P
KA3NRX

W7IBI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »

I lived for years in Alexandria VA, a city founded in 1749. (First settled in 1695)
When working stateside or DX stations that were interested in US history, I would send the QSL info on the back of a picture post card that depicted some of the long history of the city.  They were always happily received.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 10:27:53 AM »

>>Duquesne University Ham Radio Club that we had a bunch of post cards with a pic of Downtown Pittsburgh on it (taken from what is known around here as the West End Overlook, which is a maginficent view)<<

Hey, fellow peezburgher!

Back in the 60s, we used to say it differently about that Overlook:

The ersatz motto was, "Duquesne University:  Founded on a bluff and its still run that way today!"  

But I went up the avenue to CMU and everybody from Duquesne was then under strict orders to hate me.  

Everybody but Joe Negri anyway.  

*wave*

--Mac
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »

And Duquesne doesn't really overlook the West End, more like the South Side.  

And y'unz guys better pronounce Sou'side right ennat.

--Mac
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »

Normally I just sit here and read this stuff but I gotta make a comment.

I send QSL's to virtually every ham I have a new contact with.  They are the only ones who send me any.  I'm saying that I never get a QSL unless I send one first.  

This says either:

(1)Everyone I talk to is slow and would eventually have gotten around to QSLing but I got there first or

(2)QSLing except for DX is a dead part of the ham hobby.

My experience is the latter.
WC4V

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 02:33:36 PM »

My favorite QSL cards I have received, were ones printed on brown paper bag paper, and one that was printed on the back of a cereal box!  Those mean more to me than slick full color glossy fold-outs!

Steve
N3VMC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »

<<QSLing except for DX is a dead part of the ham hobby.>>

I think out of every 4 cards ive sent out...with a SASE Ive gotten 1 back.
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 06:35:16 PM »

-I think out of every 4 cards ive sent out...with a SASE Ive gotten 1 back.-

I always check the "PLEASE QSL" box on the ones I send.  I get a return rate of about 50%.  Many are great cordial responses with an expression of surprise for having been QSL'ed.  I'll bet QSL's are another victim of the ease of electronics to communicate.

Since I put an email address on my cards, I occasionally get an email instead of a QSL from hams that don't have any cards printed.

I enjoy rifling through my stacks of cards from over the years.  I do have some old QSLs from the 60's that used picture post cards as stock and have been printed with the call on the front and the hamease on the backs.  Looking at these, its amazing how the country has changed and  that you can see that change from these now antique cards.  I've got two from different hams from Greenville Texas that would be illegal today.

I could bitch about the lack of paper log books today too I suppose.  Oh, well.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:49 PM »

My favorite QSL card of all time was from a YL in the '60s, who was a CBer!  Her call sign was KKD**** something, and on the card was a pic. of her completely topless!! Smiley
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 05:25:09 AM »

And Duquesne doesn't really overlook the West End, more like the South Side.

REPLY: Hi Mac!! How yinz do'n, n'at???...;-D...I think you are confusing the Bluff with the West End Overlook, like I mentioned....Our old club's QSL photo was not taken from Duquesne's campus....But from the actual Overlook....A very nice shot...This is what the photo of our qsl card looked like....

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/dyc/pitt.html

Third photo down was the closest to it, because the photo on the card was a night shot. And of course there were a few differences on the card because back then Three Rivers Stadium was still there....Good Stuff....

73s
KA3NRX
Vince P
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: