Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butt Ugly QSL cards  (Read 3816 times)
N3VMC

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2007, 05:49:48 AM »

Ok people....this past week the QSL cards that I have been getting have gotten worse by the day.

I keep waiting for a 3x5 index card with a stick figure drawn on it out of crayon. In this day and age were people spends thousands of dollars on radio equipment, antennas etc etc....I am amazed at how cheap some ops are when it comes to QSL cards. One meathead sent me an actual postcard form his hometown with labels on the back for the QSO info. Might as well send me a napkin next time jackass.

QSL cards to me are very personal and I am proud to send mine out all over the world....

Thanks for letting me vent.

Vince
N3VMC
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 06:04:12 AM »

It sounds like a postcard from the guy's hometown is about as personal as it gets. He wants you to know a little more about where he is from than just a grid square locator.

People don't have to send a QSL card at all!

As for me, I am grateful for every one I get.

Scott N0IU
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »

It may just be a matter of taste, but frankly, I agree with Scott.  I'd be happy to get either the post card, or better yet, the stick figure!  Either one shows a lot more went into sending it than just an order to a printer.

Jim/k7unz
N3VMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:11:58 AM »

Wait so you are saying I shouldnt spend my hard earned money on a nicely made custom QSL card? I should just resort to going down to the local store and buying a pack of postcards and printing some labels on them?

Most, if not all hams, are proud of their shack and love to show people around....I know because I show people my setup all the time. People that had no idea what ham radio is about all of a sudden might be interested. Kids eyes gleam with the thought of talking to someone halfway around the world!

Why not show the same enthusiasm with a QSL card? Why spend all that time and money on equipment only to skimp on the personal aspect of the hobby?

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:03:32 AM »

So I can order a couple thousand custom printed cards and send the bill to you?

Scott N0IU
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:52:35 AM »

Wow, chill out.  There are tons of reasons... some people don't make enough contacts to get cards printed vs. getting postcards, especially if what they want is a picture of their hometown on their card.  

"QSL cards to me are very personal and I am proud to send mine out all over the world.... "

Good for you.  I personally find them a little boring when I have to send a whole ton of them for quickie DX contacts.  Do I like to get a card from someone I've had a nice ragchew with and learned a little bit about?  Well, sure, but I'd probably rather exchange emails!

The postal system, to me, has no magic in it.  A QSL as "the last courtesy of a contact" might as well be an email as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the "hey thanks for the contact, here's another way to get a hold of me, and some more about me that I couldn't tell you when you faded out".  

If someone wants a card from me to confirm something for an award, I'll send them something, but I don't care much if it's pretty.  I got a bunch of plain black simple N3OX cards printed up at W4MPY so I'd have something to send out, but I just don't really care to send out pretty ones.

Does it make someone a bad ham if they don't have abundant love in their hearts for professionally printed QSLs lovingly handwritten and sent through the mail?  

I'll send one back if someone asks for one, that's it.   Otherwise, I will contact people I want to keep in touch with via email (unless I found someone I had a good conversation with that actually didn't have email, and I haven't run across so many of those), and I will send out inexpensive QSL cards so you can get your confirmation for whatever you're chasing (or, even better, upload my log to LoTW!)

I've tried to convince myself that I like the QSL tradition, and I can see that if I were alive in 1930 and was able to make a contact over the radio that induced a picture postcard to come via mail a month later from Russia, I would be very excited, but in 2007 I just don't see the mail as having much mystery or soul.

A particular QSL card can be very personal and touching, for sure, but many aren't.  It sounds like you may be rejecting one that someone finds very personal to them just because they didn't order it from a professional printer.

It's not like you really care about the guy on the other end if you're calling them a jackass in a public forum.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »

<< I am amazed at how cheap some ops are when it comes to QSL cards. One meathead sent me an actual postcard form his hometown with labels on the back for the QSO info. Might as well send me a napkin next time jackass. >>

Aren't we the self-righteous little snob!!! I'll make a note to myself never to bother sending you a card - if we ever talk - because you won't like the ones I send out. I get them from CheapQSLs and they suit MY needs just fine. I couldn't care less if they meet YOUR standard for a proper QSL card.

What you seem to forget, or maybe never learned in the first place, is that the purpose of a QSL card is the written confirmation of an on-the-air contact - nothing more; nothing less.

I have QSLs that are picture postcards of the city where the ham lives, postcards showing historic monuments, postcards with funny cartoons and so on, but my favorite is one on a paper towel written with a crayon! It was the last state I needed for WAS and the guy was out of cards. He sent me that one so I could get my WAS immediately and then sent me a replacement when his formal cards came in. The card checker and I both got a big laugh out of the paper towel, but it was a legal confirmation, and that's the one that hangs on my wall in the WAS collection.

As far as I am concerned, with your attitude, YOU are the jackass!

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »

BTW ...

Please explain to me the _fundamental_ difference between the picture postcard with labels on it that you are raising such a stink over and the city skyline on the QSL card in your QRZ bio?

I expected something a little more elegant after all your complaining.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3VMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »

Actually LON I have plenty of cheapQSL cards from ops and they suit my needs just fine....even a few W4MPY ones ....its just amusing that with the thousands of dollars ops spend on shiney new equipment or antennas they are frugal with the most personal item of all.

As far as my QSL card goes....maybe your right....maybe I should skimp on that end and not send them all out SASE like I do....There are no QSL card guidelines out there and you are right....I should be happy just getting what I get...

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:33:23 AM »

".its just amusing that with the thousands of dollars ops spend on shiney new equipment or antennas they are frugal with the most personal item of all.
"

You don't send out a lot of QSL's without equipment.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:40:28 AM »

Calling the other guy a jackass when you don't know the situation at the other end is the jackass move here.  

*Maybe he's down on his luck and money at at the time, yet still took the time to send you a card.

*He or she might be elderly.

*They might be temporarily out of stock of the regular QSL card yet still wanted to send you something and went out of their way to do so.  

*Maybe they think that is a nice alternative to the average QSL card.

Get over it.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »

N3VMC wrote, "...its just amusing that with the thousands of dollars ops spend on shiney new equipment or antennas they are frugal with the most personal item of all."

Actually, the most personal item of all is the QSO itself. The card is only a written confirmation that it happened.

Scott N0IU

N3VMC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:59:17 AM »

You guys are all right and Id like to say im sorry for being a snob with the cards.

Vince
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 02:05:22 PM »

Good on ya, Vince.  

Now that is Semper Fi.

If an old flyboy is allowed to bring that up.

--Mac
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 05:58:59 PM »

Why not show the same enthusiasm with a QSL card? Why spend all that time and money on equipment only to skimp on the personal aspect of the hobby?

DX stations, who get thousands of cards, mostly do not care about you and your life.  You do care about them.

Personally, I have two cards.  One is the generic cheapo contest type, which I send to DX stations, except those that I have come to know personally.

Domestic stations get my very nice personalized card.

Some hams are very cost attentive and I wouldn't get so worked up about it.  You got their card and that's all you need.  Lighten up.  Make your own personal statement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: