Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butt Ugly QSL cards  (Read 5083 times)
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »

I'm a new General, so for me, the QSL card is part of the fun.  I send one to every new state contact I make and many others.  I don't expect to get a 100% return rate even though I SASE for domestic and send stamps for DX; in general, I get a pretty good return rate, particularly if I mention it's a first contact.

And while my QSL card collection is small, the variety is pretty good.  I don't get critical of the card itself because to me it's what the card represents.  That being said, I've gotten some really nice cards with full color photos that clearly took time and effort and cost more than the paltry sum I paid for my cards.  Others are what they need to be.  I much prefer it be filled out by hand no matter what.

My first QSL card was black and white, simple and cheap.  I had no idea how long being a ham would appeal and wanted something fast.  I upgraded to a color two sided card but right now, full color photograph is going to hold off until I get a photo worthy of the bucks they cost.

I admit to a near childish delight in receiving QSL cards in the mail.
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »

I send 'em, I get some, I like 'em. Don't care if they're high-gloss fold-outs or rough one-color on white, light card stock. Even got one that was xeroxed from a blank original with the QSO data filled in with pen. Favorites include two on notebook paper from hams with literally a few days in the hobby, as well as the rare DX cards & beautiful photo cards some are fortunate enough to afford.

Overall return rate hovers around 70% for both domestic & DX, but DX confirmed/worked by country is around 90%.    

Been using cheapqsls.com for my three years or so back in the hobby and am pleased with the personal attention and quality of the cards.

Don't care for (or use) eQSL or LoTW - still old-fashioned, I suppose, although I do have solid state radios ...

Vy 73 & PSE QSL,
Jim
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »

I enjoy all QSL cards no matter what.  Some of the "hometown postcards" are my favorites.

Also keep in mind that not everyone spends money on a station.  Some people have no gear of their own and operate out of club stations or at a friend's station or put together a bare bones station from equipment given to them by other hams.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 07:11:35 AM »

As someone who is new to the HF game, the QSL cards mean a lot.  I appreciate every one I get.  They may mean less after I get a few hundred, but for now, I get a kick out of each one I get.

That said, I can sympathize with one of the original poster's comments.  To me, the plain generic cards do seem a little sterile.  Back in the day when the photo on a card was really expensive, I could see why the cards were so designed.  This would obviously save a lot of cash.  Today, its possible to get good quality cards for not as much money.  I went for it as I didn't like the look of the plain cards.

The photo on my card was taken by me while out on a walk over the Platte river. I am proud of that card as it has my art on it.

One thing we could do to improve the look of QSL cards is teach our new hams how to get nice QSL cards affordably.  When other new guys see my cards, they are always impressed and want to know how to get ones like it.
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »

I actually prefer to receive the hand-drawn stick-figure-on-an-index-card QSL, or the one made from a postcard. These days it is easy and inexpensive to get glossy, professional looking cards made up. And filling out such a card only takes a couple of minutes. But when I get a card that was obviously hand-made, I know that the guy sending it actually had to spend some time on preparing it for me, so it seems more personalized. And it's also more individualized, because no two hand-made cards are going to be exactly the same.
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 06:14:53 AM »

I am actually in charge of the ham radio part of my local Boy Scout Council's 90th Aniversery celebration.  I am planning on having the scouts design their own qsl cards to be sent out to who ever they contact.  No two cards will be exactly alike.  I'm doing this mostly for cost efectivness (or as a scout would say, I'm being thrifty).  About the only way I will be able to have printed QSLs is if somebody is willing to donate the cards.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »

GREAT IDEA!

Good luck with the project.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »

KC9ATJ:

My color printer can do about anything you design - I've printed on index cards and with many of the printing progams for photographs, you can do multiple images on a single sheet, getting more than one per page of expensive paper.

Just a thought - you could scan original artwork and use as the basis as well.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »

Just to lighten the discussion up a bit since we were talking butt ugly, do any of you guys recall K4NBN (no bad news). His QSL card was a picture of his fine lady called Magnolia Blossom, who was quite a heavy weight. Hands up anyone whio still has his card - I have mine in an album

Mark N1UK G3ZZM
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2007, 03:19:47 AM »

Laughing here!...You know it wasn't so long ago, there were Posts on Eham saying "I'd be happy with a just piece of paper to confirm our QSO" and "PLEASE QSL" and all of the reasons posted, why we felt the "ART OF THE QSL CARD, IS GOING AWAY!" And of course, that is why I posted that I also agreed with the EQSL Cards, and LOTW, so individuals can design a nice card and send it along with just the click of a mouse on the PC and that way, there are less costs and/or time involved to QSL. My GrandPa used to say that "some folks will still gripe, even if they got hung with a new well-Rope" or or maybe, "danged if we do, Danged if we don't!" either way...You just gotta laugh and smile and just keep going.
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 09:31:51 PM »

I would very happy to get even a butt ugly QSL card
from some of the people that asked me for a QSL card.
I sent mine. They didn't send theirs. Now that is being butt ugly.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 08:56:36 AM »

Just to lighten the discussion up a bit since we were talking butt ugly, do any of you guys recall K4NBN (no bad news). His QSL card was a picture of his fine lady called Magnolia Blossom, who was quite a heavy weight. Hands up anyone whio still has his card - I have mine in an album.

REPLY: Hand up!...Whew, that is a QSL for the ages!!!!!...I remember being told by my ham buddies at the time to work this guy, and get the qsl card...They would not tell me why....so I found him and worked him way back in the summer of 1987....and got the card....I nearly lost my lunch!!!!.....too funny!!!...I wonder what ever happened to old Del...

Vince P
KA3NRX
W8RPE

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »

Ok..one word for the poster.

Zoloft
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »

I think a real Butt Ugly QSL card would have a nude
picture of Janet Reno--provided the camera didn't burst first!
N6MYA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »

Hmmm ... some people.
My favorite card (besides the one from my very first contact) is the one i can't find.  I worked a kid on CW and he sent me a hand drawn card, and offered to make me some cards like it with MY call on them.  It really bothers me that i can't find it because the kid went out of his way to actually MAKE the card for me, which makes it a special card.

Dude, i know it's hard .... but try to read between the lines, find some empathy, and appreciate what you've been sent.

Paul
N6MYA
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: