Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: force 12 flag pole antenna help  (Read 320 times)
KX3X

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

i have a force 12 flag pole antenna with a 80 meter coil.how can i make this antenna or a vertical to make it receive better. first vertical i owned.i put a line isolator at the feed point to cut down rf on the feed line. is this good or not?.they say make a choke by winding your coax 4 to 8 turns before entering the house.i am using my rigs auto tuner and seems to tune 80 thru 10, but barely hear my ham friends that live about 15 miles from me.this is on 80 and ten meters. i can hear them good on the dipole.
any suggestions on improving the system.the flag pole is 24 ft and have about 6 ground radials different lengths. should i lay down more. not much room to in back yard for long radials.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:31:27 PM »

i can hear them good on the dipole.

You're learning all about angles of radiation which works both way plus signal to noise ratio and the differences between vertically polarized man-made noise and horizontal polarization.

Use the dipole for receive and the vertical for transmit.

Most all low band ops have more than one kind of receive antenna.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »

And yes lay down as many radial as you can.  Various lengths is fine.  You can snake longer ones along the property line or along the grass line next to the sidewalk.

All this will make this a better transmit antenna and conversely a worse receiving antenna for close in work; you're improving or approaching the theoretical lower angle of radiation that is a vertical.  For close in work horizontally polarized and low antennas like a low dipole work best.  This is also called NVIS.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »

Several of us worked on this antenna for a ham friend and never could get it to RX or TX very well. We finally made an inverted "L" out of it by running a horizontal wire off the top (about 55' as I remember). Worked very well after that. I was very surprised at the low quality of the 80 meter coil. Good luck.

73, de Lindy
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »

"You can snake longer ones along the property line or along the grass line next to the sidewalk. "

Be REALLY careful when edging the sidewalk if you have radials in the grass line.  It can be a chore unwinding wire from your edger!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: