Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Antenna Tuners" Misleading Name for pro  (Read 7664 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 06:56:23 AM »

Antenna tuners don't change a single thing in the system upstream from the tuner. Nothing. Zero. Nada.

They change the source, NOT the load. The load is anything inserted after the tuner like the feedline.

They don't affect the loss on the feeder after the tuner, the radiation from the antenna, or anything else on the tuner output. They only affect the phase relationship and impedance at the source end.

It amazes me that people who are calling others "rocket scientists" don't understand something that basic.

As for the name, call it anything you like. As long as everyone knows what it is what does it matter? Many things in life are not called by the technically correct name. The important thing is knowing how they work or what they are.

73 Tom
AB0IO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »

Hey Alex,

Now that you have your rocket scientist decoder ring, have you considered attending a seminar on how to play nicely on internet forums?  I mean, if you're not busy tutoring Stephen Hawking.  Hah!
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »

Antenna tuners don't change a single thing in the system upstream from the tuner. Nothing. Zero. Nada.

They change the source, NOT the load. The load is anything inserted after the tuner like the feedline.

They don't affect the loss on the feeder after the tuner, the radiation from the antenna, or anything else on the tuner output. They only affect the phase relationship and impedance at the source end.

It amazes me that people who are calling others "rocket scientists" don't understand something that basic.

As for the name, call it anything you like. As long as everyone knows what it is what does it matter? Many things in life are not called by the technically correct name. The important thing is knowing how they work or what they are.

73 Tom
=====================================================

Well put Tom !!!

Also to add, a resonant antenna will outperform a improperly physically tuned/cut antenna that is LOADED up with a "antenna tuner" every time.
 Key word, outperform!! .......Not whether you can get some radiation out of a POS that's "loaded up".

If the "antenna tuner" really was a majic box for POOR ANTENNA DESIGN, there wouldn't be a reason to build a properly tuned/cut antenna.

---Chuck

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »

Chuck should consider an antenna that is much longer than resonant length sometime.  
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 09:26:45 AM »

Ok, it's not just a "resonant" discussion here, the point is that merely "loading up" a wet noodle(ETC) with a "Antenna Tuner" doesn't make it a good antenna even with a "flat" SWR match after "LOADING"........ period.
 I get tired of hearing "It LOADED up great" "got a flat match" and the operator thinks that the actual antenna is going to perform excellent(HA), simply not true.
 Sure, it will radiate BUT not nearly as well as a properly designed antenna for the band you wish to operate.
 Geez, everyone knows that a properly tuned antenna will outperform a multibander everytime, even if you can "LOAD" that multibander or whatever to a "Flat SWR".
            Simple as that.

The name "Antenna Tuner" does nothing to affect the radiation pattern, length, efficiency or anything else of an antenna, it only proivides a load the transciever "likes".

My dummy load has a GREAT MATCH but it doesn't radiate worth ........well you now.

---Chuck
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: