Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG antenna ("tongue in cheek")  (Read 1407 times)
AD5WY

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2007, 03:14:36 AM »

I thought about posting this in the Antenna Restrictions forum, but it probably wouldn't have been appropriate...

This is kind of off topic and tongue-in-cheek, but it might have entertainment value, and wish-ful thinking value to hams;

On http://maps.google.com, enter: stettenhofen, germany into the search bar.

Invoke a Satellite view.

South by southwest, you will see a big, funny looking artifact on the terrain - a kind of double circle, as if you are looking at an aerial view of Stonehenge or something. That is an AN/FLR-9 antenna... I used to work there when I was stationed in Augsburg (I know there are a few ex-ASA'ers (Army Security Agency) who are hams, some post on eHam I think ...)

Have fun zooming in. Notice the nearby parking lots, the size of automobiles compared to the size of the antenna.

What if such a thing ever came on the market as government surplus? Dunno about you, but I would LOVE to experiment with it as a ham radio antenna...

... lets talk antenna restriction, and PRB-1 ...

PRB-1 = "... a LIMITED preemption of local zoning ordinances."

I could imagine trying to work in creative negotiation with local officials about that "thing in my backyard" (not that I even have a backyard at present, much less one that was big enough).

hi hi
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:33:09 AM »

Wow, looks like you might be able to bounce signals off of other planets with that thing!  I just wonder how much power they are running and what freq they use with it.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »

I wish I had the money AND the room for one of the HF LPDAs (and the tower and rotator) that are sitting unused at Ft. Detrick, MD!

The rotators are the size of VW Beatles!

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AD5WY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »

(KJ4AGA);

Its a receive-only antenna. A Wullenweber array, designed for radio direction finding (but you can also do general recieve through it).

BUT, I imagine an enterprising ham could make adaptations. Basically, it would be an array of verticle dipoles.

More info, and two pics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLR-9

One of the photos (the top of the two) is the same site from the google map referance. You can click the pics for an enlarged photo.

AD5WY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »

W3LK:

I could see my electric bill. Typical monthly bill (winter) = $40 to $60.

AFTER installation of the surplus LPDA you mentioned:

Add $100+ per antenna rotation.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 05:26:51 PM »

Try Googling "North West Cape Australia" (no quotes), or use Google Earth to take a look.  This is a hexagonal VLF array for submarine broadcast.  Naval Communications Station Harold E. Holt is the official name of the place.  Browse around, especially the edges of the array.  Use the "ruler" feature and measure the lengths of the towers' shadows!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:47:34 PM »

When I zoom in on Augsburg, I see the parked cars with the little red lights hanging from the rear view mirrors.

:-)

Been there lots of times.

Zufiel essen und trinken...PROST!

Wiedersehen

WB2WIK/6
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 03:41:13 AM »

On http://maps.google.com, enter: imperial beach, ca into the search bar. Go to satellite view and zoom in on the structure up and to the left at the Naval Radio Station.

On http://maps.google.com, enter: wavelength rd, san diego, ca into the search bar. Go to satellite view and zoom in on the structure up slightly down and to the right.  That is an antenna test range.  The arcing structure is a movable carriage for test transmitting antennas while  a model of the the ship/vehicle, complete with scale model of the antennas being analyzed, goes on the pavement below it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: