Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aircraft Headsets  (Read 475 times)
K0BLR

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2007, 08:07:12 PM »

Good Evening Everyone,

I ran accross some one selling some telex Headsets that looks like they've been modified my question is this. Has anyone done this before that comment on the audio quality?

thanks,

Ben
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:18:19 AM »

Hi Ben,

Telex has made decent headsets for many years.  If you have a true "aircraft headset" it probably has a high noise-cancelling mic.  For amateur radio applications a noise-cancelling headset may require more audio gain in order to make the rig respond correctly.  Some rigs will handle noise-cancelling mics better than others.  Nevertheless, the Telex headsets are good products.

Terry, WØFM
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:18:39 PM »

I bought a TELEX industrial headset on Ebay a few years ago for less than $20. OSHA rated for 23 dB noise isolation, which means I can't even hear phone ring when wearing it. Also has a noise cancelling mic which works very well. The audio quality of the mic is strictly communications grade- lots of low end roll-off and mid-range punch. It sounds rather harsh on FM and repeaters, but works great for VHF contesting on SSB- lots of punch, easier to get through than with hand mic. I had to build a little adapter box to use it with my TS-2000X, but all it took was a 1K resistor, 10 uF capacitor, and a PTT button.

Of course, depending on the model, might be harder or easier to interface with radios. Try searching the TELEX site by model number or series- I managed to find and download a schematic and spec sheet from Telex before buying mine. If the prioce is right, might not be a bad gamble to try one.

In general, I have found the TELEX headset to be very well built and durable, much more so than the specialty ham headsets marketed by some well-known names.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »

They will do the trick.  Just remember that they will virtually isolate you from all other room noises.  You won't here the phone ring or the XYL screaming for you to get off the damn radio and have dinner!  More importantly, you could miss the sound of a CO2 or fire alarm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: