The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barker Williamson model 430 antenna  (Read 4764 times)
DY1UBY

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2007, 01:45:41 AM »

I recently owned an old Yaesu FT-707 HF SSB/CW/AM transceiver and right now, I'm using wire strands of CAT 5e as an antenna. I used it for about 3 days from now and I would like to know an antenna something Greek to me. I cannot find this kind of antenna on the net. Here's my question: I would like to know if anyone here has an info regarding Barker Williamson model 430 HF antenna? What it looks like? Operating freq? What are the specifications? How long is it? Is there anyone can discuss further about this antenna?
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »

Contact Barker & Williamson

http://www.bwantennas.com/

they should be able to get you what you need for info.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »

Alex,
I found an old B&W catalog online and it does not list any antenna with that number.  The antennas models start with a either AC or AT or AS for the wire antennas.  The Catalog can be found at the BAMA site. I can send it to you if you would like as it is a PDF file.

Clint - W5CPT
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »

I use a Barker & Williamson BWD-90 antenna for HF. That's the 90 foot long folded dipole that's supposed to cover 1.8 to 54 Mhz. I use it because someone gave it to me for free. Center of antenna is mounted with sidearm on tower at 45 feet, and ends are at 20 feet.

I haven't been overly impressed with it. Can't get it to tune lower phone portion or CW portion of 160, and could never get it to tune 6 meters at all, even using internal antenna tuners on Icom 746 and Kenwood TS-2000. I don't think RX or TX performance is that great either, and gain is probably in negative numbers compared to a resonant dipole due to the matching resistor at the end of the loop. I've been seriously thinking of replacing it with some type of ground mounted vertical.

Their web site hypes it up as the military standard, blah blah blah. Don't get fooled. Yes, its broadbanded, but when you're the military and have tons of power at your disposal for relatively short range comms, I suppose it works. But what makes a good antenna for military use probably doesn't apply to the majority of ham radio applications.

If this is similar to the antenna you are thinking of, I would strongly suggest looking for a different antenna. Also stay away from the Comet and Diamond "broadband" HF no-radial verticals, as they are nothing more than dummy loads with a radiating element attached to one end.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
DY1UBY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »

Many thanks for the wonderful advice. I almost brought myself to that store in Raon, City of Manila and buy Diamond HF Broadband "No-tune" Folded Dipole. I don't like HF verticals since I used it to my CB radio then. I don't like the performance. I used a Lazy H before for my CB radio. Now from 2-meter operation now I migrated to HF (now my call is DW1UBY). Anyway, going back to B & W model 430, yes the old man told me he "can make me an exact replica of B & W model 430 HF broadband (multiband) "no-tune" wire antenna". According to him, he has the exact antenna specifications/dimensions etc. in order to construct that "mystery antenna". Some old hams in my locality told me that B & W model 430 was a post-World War II era military antenna used by the American Military (I don't know....Huh I doubt it!). Right now I'm still using my Yaesu FT-707 HF transceiver with 35 feet of UTP wires connected to the positive (the center of SO-239) so that I can hear DX stations. Still I'm listening on the HF bands and feared of transmitting my old Yaesu Musen radio (because I am using a cheap 3A regulated power supply; it takes only 1.2A - 1.5A for receive.)Yet, I'm still lucky to have you and I respect your "rule of thumb" advice to me. I hope my barefoot signal will be heard soon if I got a 30-35A new regulated power supply, a modest tuner and a better antenna. HF really rocks! Best regards and 73.  
DY1UBY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »

Many thanks for the wonderful advice. I almost brought myself to that store in Raon, City of Manila and buy Diamond HF Broadband "No-tune" Folded Dipole. I don't like HF verticals since I used it to my CB radio then. I don't like the performance. I used a Lazy H before for my CB radio. Now from 2-meter operation now I migrated to HF (now my call is DW1UBY). Anyway, going back to B & W model 430, yes the old man told me he "can make me an exact replica of B & W model 430 HF broadband (multiband) "no-tune" wire antenna". According to him, he has the exact antenna specifications/dimensions etc. in order to construct that "mystery antenna". Some old hams in my locality told me that B & W model 430 was a post-World War II era military antenna used by the American Military (I don't know....Huh I doubt it!). Right now I'm still using my Yaesu FT-707 HF transceiver with 35 feet of UTP wires connected to the positive (the center of SO-239) so that I can hear DX stations. Still I'm listening on the HF bands and feared of transmitting my old Yaesu Musen radio (because I am using a cheap 3A regulated power supply; it takes only 1.2A - 1.5A for receive.)Yet, I'm still lucky to have you and I respect your "rule of thumb" advice to me. I hope my barefoot signal will be heard soon if I got a 30-35A new regulated power supply, a modest tuner and a better antenna. HF really rocks! Best regards and 73.  
DY1UBY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 05:54:58 PM »

To W5CPT,

Hi!

I would like to see it. Please send me a copy to my email: dw1uby@gmail.com .

Excited to see it.

Many thanks.
DY1UBY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 05:59:16 PM »

To KB1LKR,

Hi!

I haven't tried to phone them but I already sent an email iquiry regarding B & W model 430 HF Broadband "no-tune" antenna. Anyway, many thanks oldman for the advice, 73.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: