The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Operators vs Amatuer Operators...  (Read 1866 times)
SPITFIRETN

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2007, 04:51:24 PM »

It has been brought to my attention that some people think your guilty until proven innocent.  It’s as if you don’t have an Amateur license then you are considered scum.  If you talk on the CB than your not welcome here.  Is this the attitude an Amateur operator should have?  Will I become a jerk if I get my Amateur license like some of you are?  I say some, because I have seen and talk to some very nice ham operators.  The rest of you should sit back and look in the mirror.  If you seen it from the other side, you would think that getting your license just means you can talk to snub nosed know it alls.  That’s not the picture I thought being an amateur operator was, but its becoming the norm in forums like these.  I see a lot of…  "Screw all those who don't own a license".  "Maybe I will talk to you, but never on the 11 meter band".  "You’re a moron until I decide otherwise".

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I was offended and just wanted to speak my peace.  Thank you for those that see the good in people first, and those that will talk to me on 27.385 LSB.  I can't wait to get my ticket to then join people like you in the amateur world.  The rest of you, you’re no better than a freebander.  I don't like talking to them or a stuck up ham operator!

This message was taken from the Merry Christmas thread I started.  I was hoping to get “Merry Christmas back at you”, but I was let down in some of the responses I got back.  Well, enough of my soap box.  I hope it opened up some people eyes, and I pray that everyone has a blessed New Year!!!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »

"Don't let anybody steal your joy."

MERRY CHRISTMAS and the best to you on getting onto the ham bands, get that ticket!  

KE3WD
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »

I expect the "jerks" were jerks before they got their ham license. I doubt that getting a license will change your personality.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

73, Bob

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 07:35:34 AM »

TNX W8LGZ...

Kinda puts the 'ol shoe on the other foot doesn't it?

LEGAL?!?

I don't think so either.

73 Gary
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »

Additionally, the radio pictured in the vehicle is a President 2510 - a "supposed" 10m amateur radio, NOT a Citizen's Band radio!

B U S T E D ! ! !

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:19:48 AM »

I know the rules, I operate legally, and I enjoy the hobby and respect it and all other that do the same, not just those with an amateur license.

Gary, care to explain your statement above versus the pictures of the equipment in your mobile?

CBers are legally limited to 5 watts; they are not allowed to use amplifliers, yet there's one shown in your mobile.  What's that for?

You also have a 10 meter rig in your mobile.  CBers are not allowed to transmit on any of the 10M freqs.  Do you JUST listen with that?  Or....do you use that and maybe with the amp to freeband on 10M?

Unless you have a good explanation, yes we licensed radio ops do not want to allow you into our group.  We DO abide by the regs that apply to us.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:14:21 AM »

Did a little more checking and here's his equipment profile from the CB forum where he's an administrator:

My Set-up... President Lincoln Texas Star DX500v Wilson 5000 Magnet Mount

The President Lincoln was the Uniden HR-2510 which is a 25 watt 10M Amateur radio.

The Texas Star has the following specs:
Frequency Range: 28.0 MHz to 29.7 MHz Stability
 Frequency of operation is within the 10 meter band

The Wilson has the following specs:
High Power Ability To Handle 5,000 Watts AM,
Frequency range 26 MHz to 30 MHz

Looks like an illegal 10M Freebander setup to me, not one of a legit radio operator.

SPITFIRETN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »

Catch me on the radio.  See how many watts I run and what frequencies I run on.  Notice that it’s all legal.  I will be looking forward on hearing from some of you!  That’s if your rigs can run legally on 27.385 LSB. I know mine can.

73's, 1326 Tennessee Mobile.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »

Sorry to disagree with you, Jim, but there are some folks I DON'T want in the amateur ranks and this guy is a prime example. If he can't obey the rules of a non-licensed service, what makes anyone believe he will obey the rules of the Amateur Service?

If that offends anyone's sensibilities, too bad. I worked too hard for my license and upgrades and putting together a completely legal amateur station to want to share the amateur bands with dishonest people.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »

Jim:

Great minds DO think alike! Smiley

Happy New Year!

N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »

many so-called cb amps are manufactured and advertised as 10 meter amps for amateurs.  They are so wide-banded that they will work on 11 meters.

Some of these amps actually have type acceptance for amateur use.  Some of them, however, splatter like a fly on a windshield.

If the uniden rig he has (I have one) is type accepted for amateur use - not a problem.  It's a great little rig when 10 opens up.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

...provided he's licensed...
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »

By his own admission he has no amateur license, therefore no legal use for a 10m ham rig and ANY amplifier.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: