Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kenwood ts850sat or ts570dg  (Read 1153 times)
ZL2WJA

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »

Hi All
I am considering purchasing a good hf base radio and have a choice between the 850sat and 570dg.
I operate solely on ssb and use 40mtrs mainly,i also have a heil proset plus headset so the radio needs a good tx monitoring system.
I recently purchased a ts2000 and i'm dissapointed in its rx performance on hf and its power output on ssb.
I am swinging more towords the 850sat but it's age does worry me abit (service and parts problems), i have an 450s in the shack which has a tx prob but i love the rx onit , (but it has no tx monitor).
Just want to get an idea on which rig might best suit me.

cheers and 73's from Jason zl2ft (ex zl2wja).
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 06:12:50 AM »

I have no experience with the 850, but I have a 570S(G) and love it.

As for the receive performance of the 2000, what specifically don't you like? As for power out, all these rigs are rated at 100w PEP. Are you trying to measure power out with a conventional power meter as opposed to a peak reading meter? A non-peak reading meter will only show 30-45w on SSB, even though the output is actually 100w.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:37:42 PM »

The TS-2000 has an internal automatic tuner and should provide 100W PEP output into any reasonable load.  If it doesn't, there's something wrong with yours.  Or, maybe you don't have a PEP wattmeter -- a conventional wattmeter doesn't cut it for SSB use.

The TS-850SAT and TS-570DG are also both 100W PEP output rigs and also both have internal automatic tuners.  You shouldn't see any difference in PEP output power amongst these three rigs.

Where the TS-850SAT blows away the TS-570DG is plain old performance.  The 850S has a triple conversion receiver with four selectable filters in each of its final two I.F. stages (total of 8 possible filters, all independently selectable).  It came factory-equipped with five of those 8 slots occupied, so there are three optional filters you can buy and install, unless somebody else already did so, in which case you'd have a very good rig.

The 850S does have an excellent SSB monitor, which does sound just like having a second receiver to listen to.  It has every single commonly used function adjustable directly from the front panel without using any menus, whereas the 570DG places many frequently used functions in menus and that alone drove me a bit batty when I've used them.   They both sound excellent on SSB.

The 850S has a built-in 3-memory keyer which is very good and an optional digital voice recorder (which I have in mine, very helpful).  Its noise blanker, factory-stock, isn't very good (neither is the 570DG), but there's a mod to make it quite a bit better on the dk.mods website.  I've done that to mine, and it reverts the 850S noise blanker back to what the 940S had, which was a better circuit.  Not a difficult mod, but does take an hour or so.

The 850S is a great rig with features superior to the 570DG's, but I'd also be worried about "age."  Mine was purchased by me brand-new in 1990, and is going on 16 years old.  The only problem I ever had with it I fixed myself, but returning for factory service might be long and expensive.  I definitely wouldn't buy it without a "test drive," that is, seeing and using it prior to purchase.

WB2WIK/6
W5ONV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:50:36 PM »

I have had my TS-570GD for 5 years now and love it.No problems at all.I am not sure of the 850 though.But I do agree with the others here who like their 570's also. Good luck and 73, Jim
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:06:33 PM »

TS-850 is much bigger but also has an excellent speech procesor. This makes your signal sound 3-5 db stronger than with TS-570. Having operated from VK last Fall, I know that "down under" one needs all the punch one can get to get through during the low sunspot numbers.
Ignacy, NO9E, VK2ISF
KA9INV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 09:23:55 AM »

I've owned both, and the TS-850SAT blows away the TS-570DG. No contest whatsoever. The 850, despite its age, is still a very reliable rig.
AI4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 04:17:58 PM »

Ts-570 I've had for over a year.  Good solid rig.  Had TS-690 or same as TS-450 and loved it.  For the money, the 570 will work fine for you.  Better NR than 690 but I wish I had that bad boy back for AM shortwave listening.  

Press on,
Brian
KL7NA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »

I had both rigs until recently.  The TS-570SG is better for computer control.  The TS-850SAT has a lot better receiver, and is generally a higher quality rig.  You can add an external audio DSP that is as good as the TS-570SG's DSP.  The TS-570SG is smaller, but neither is a really small rig.  The TS-850SAT is the best rig I have ever had.

Rob, KL7NA
N1FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:22 AM »

anyone know the true identity of this guy who posts under w5onv.  not good in uls.
N1FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:56 AM »

anyone know the true identity of this guy who posts under w5onv.  not good in uls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: