Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Broadcasting(and others)  (Read 1731 times)
KT4WO

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »

Every night as I try to work PSK/MFSK on/around 3.580Mhz..Here comes ARRL code ...Bashing away at 1500 Watts...Unless one has a narrow filter, 1.5Khz of the band is useless. Now first!!!..I hold an Advanced class and DID pass my 13 WPM.. and DO NOT HATE CW!!!

My point? ..Are the ARRL broadcast and other broadcast on the amateur bands really needed now in the day of the Internet??? I don't think so.

Read Part 97.113(d) ..was this written JUST for the ARRL??

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »

Your big knob doesn't turn?

Read Part 97.113(d) ..was this written JUST for the ARRL??

Yes
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 09:07:41 AM »

Well if you get right down to it, is amateur radio really necessary?

Some people LIKE to get their radio news from the ARRL bulletins.  Some people LIKE to get code practice from the code practice runs.

As far as others doing similar things, the rule covers everyone.  Other people can and, at times, have done so.  However, people other than the ARRL tend to be erratic as they are typically "one man shows" so to speak.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:17:31 AM »

[qoute].......typically "one man shows" so to speak.

And typically have a personal agenda.

Craig
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:31:05 AM »

Yet another typical anti-League rant from KT4WO.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AD5WY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »

I will go along with N8UZE;

Some people like the code practice, and others are working towards getting a Code Proficiency Certificate.

Occasionally, I like to dig out my vintage AEA PK-232 TNC, hook it up to an ICOM R75 receiver, string 30' of wire across the apartment, and get the bulletins via AMTOR FEC. Why? It's just fun, which is the *primary* reason why people get into ham radio in the first place.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 03:10:45 AM »

This topic comes up from time to time and so far, the ARRL has won every legal challenge to broadcast their bulletins. You are correct by saying that no one owns a frequency, not even the high and mighty ARRL, but as far as being QRM'd on a particular frequency, they publish their bulletin times and frequencies well in advance for just that reason. If you want to hear the bulletins, you know where to tune. If you don't want to hear the bulletins, you know what frequencies to avoid!

Think of it this way... vehicles don't own the road either, but if you know that a bus comes down your street every day at 9:15, you won't want to cross the street at that time!

Scott N0IU
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 06:08:14 AM »

And as far as QRM goes, since most PSK ops are running fairly low power, they may not be hearing you.  You will hear their 1500 watt signal but it is quite possible that they won't be able to hear your 25 watt signal.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 08:00:42 AM »

KB9CRY- My "Warbler" does not have a knob..hee hee

and Lon..This is not an ARRL bash..Its an anti-broadcaster bash..what brought this up was a broadcast on 160..maybe ANL or something... not the ARRL...but the ARRL is the major broadcaster, so I did use them as an example...

and also Lon, as KB9CRY said... "turn the big knob"..on the mouse(I said)..If you dont like reading what I write.

anyhow..I think N4CQR is right..What I heard didnt sound like info..more like a "rant" as Lon likes to put it.

One thing I would like to change..If the ARRL is going to broadcast bullitins...how about taking amtor or rtty out and adding PSK or one of the soundcard modes...

I should have never put  "ARRL" anywhere in that 1st post... now the subject will always be "He hates ARRL"
and not what I wanted to talk about.

and BTW Lon...GFY
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 08:04:13 AM »

N0IU----"You are correct by saying that no one owns a frequency, not even the high and mighty ARRL"

I never said that...!!

READ MY 1ST POST AGN

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »

No, you didn't specifically say that anyone in particular owns the frequency, but you implied it by saying you were there and they came "Bashing away at 1500 Watts" effectively wiping you out.

From the ARRL website:
Morse Code Transmissions
Frequencies are 1.8175, 3.5815, 7.0475, 14.0475, 18.0975, 21.0675, 28.0675 and 147.555 MHz.

The above information along with the schedule can be found at: http://www.arrl.org/w1aw.html

If you are going to attempt to work PSK/MFSK on/around 3.580Mhz every night, I have absolutely no sympathy for you being QRM'd by the ARRL bulletins. You know exactly when and where the bulletins are going to be, so why do you insist on putting yourself in the path of an oncoming bus?

Scott N0IU
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »

<< and BTW Lon...GFY >>

Would you like to come visit me and say that to my face? Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »

God Forgives You !
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 01:04:50 PM »

"Would you like to come visit me and say that to my face? Smiley "

Lon-

No.. but I live at 260 Pleasant Valley Rd  Bryson City, NC ... and I will say it to your face if you would like to show up here...or anywhere close to here.
I dont hide behind the mic...would you like to call me??  828-488-8478 .. and ill tell ya over the phone
also...Hell..call collect.

As far as "implied" goes... thats like assuming.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »

N0IU - Scott
" I have absolutely no sympathy for you being QRM'd by the ARRL bulletins. You know exactly when and where the bulletins are going to be, so why do you insist on putting yourself in the path of an oncoming bus?"

I know when and where they TX..
I dont always keep my eye on the time, so I have unkeyed to find the CW signal right on top of me.
Is this the ARRL's fault..NO...I should have watched the time..
As Code is no longer required for a ticket(damn shame)..why broadcast it??..I used it many times while working on my code speed.. and it was helpful..
BUT ....In this day of the NET and other resources...Is it really helpful now??

and Scott..I dont need your sympathy..but will take any narrow filters you have laying around...hihi
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: