Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PHONETIC ALPHABET AND WHY IT'S USED  (Read 2315 times)
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »

I just prefer the tried and true Alpha - Bravo - Charlie method.  I have heard a ham use Puppy for P and I got a kick out of that!  It's not hard to memorize at all.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »

W9ZXT:

"A calls suffix of RRG, is not Radio Radio Germany, sometimes when tuning around, we only hear the last letter of a call, in this case it would be Germany. When you come into the middle of that call you hear radio. Radio is a radio, Romeo is a letter. Germany is Germany, Golf is a letter."

"Romeo" isn't a letter, he's a character in one of Willy Shakespeare's plays.

"Golf" isn't a letter either.  It's a game.

Stick around on the phone bands long enough and you'll be able to recognize just about anything used by anybody as far as phonetics is concerned.  I've been doing it for fifty years as a ham - using "KING BAKER NANCY" as frequently as "KILO BRAVO NOVEMBER" and have had no complaints about non-standard phonetics.

In fact, when I'm working a string of JAs, I'll use "KIRIN BIIRU NIHON" (a phrase used in a Japanese bar to order "two bottles of Kirin beer").  It works, it gets great results from the JAs - and it's completely legal.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 10:13:30 PM »

Heard a call with a KIY.  He said "Kenwood Icom Yaesu"!
WB9QEL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 08:07:38 PM »

Thank you everyone for your input.

I was under the old impression that we used Phonetics that were the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Zulu, etc...

Learn something new everyday in this hobby.  Japenese beer is OK for Phonetic spelling.  Thanks guys, now I am clear on the proper Phonetics.  

Best 73 ES God Bless!!

Nick
W9ZXT

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »

Nick - notice that I said I use Japanese words when working Japanese stations?

What are phonetics for if not to make ourselves understood by those to whom we're talking?  Talking to JAs, using Japanese words?  Of course.  As long as you identify in English (and "KING BAKER NANCY" IS English), you're completely legal, and you've saved two syllables from "KILO BRAVO NOVEMBER".

I see you've had your vanity call since 1999, and were probably licensed a year or so before that.  We've been in the doldrums of a pretty severe sunspot minimum for most of that time, so I'm not too surprised you haven't encountered phonetics used in the "real world" before now.

Pat

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WB9QEL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »

Pat:

Relax, I was just having fun with your post, sorry if it came out wrong.  I do understand what you meant.  I was stationed in Japan for a little while back in the 80's, man I did like that beer!!

I got my license in 1983.

Best 73 Pat
Nick
W9ZXT

God Bless!!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: