About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time  (Read 1440 times)
N2NXZ

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »

You know,if they just said the time they were going to do this experiment in simple time format.I could have figured it out in a matter of seconds.Why does everyone have to complicate something so easy???

On January 19, listen on 6.7925 MHz from 0500-0600 UTC, and on 7.4075 MHz from 0600-0700 UTC. On January 20, listen on 6.7925 MHz from 0630-0730 UTC, and on 7.4075 MHz from 0730-0830 UTC

What the heck time is that if I am in New york state? So is this 12:00 - 1:00 AM?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »

Subtract 5 hours from UTC to get EST. Subtract 4 hours during the summer for daylight savings time.

UTC is commonly used on communications systems because it simplifies things - it puts everyone on the same time. If you tell a California station to meet you at 3PM using your local time he will be 3 hours late.

The easiest thing to do is to have a clock in your shack set to UTC.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:57:17 PM »

Everything in Amateur Radio is according to UTC time.

You're not a real Ham if you don't know what that it or how to convert it to your own time zone.

Do a Wikipedia search if you need to.  Every real radio op should have a clock in their shack set to UTC or Zulu time.

Don't you?
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:22:33 PM »

Honestly,I am a Ham operator,but thats not all I have in my life to do or think about than to spend time re learning how to tell time.It takes me seconds to find out what time it is anywhere in the world.I have been listening to shortwave and alot of hams for over 20 years and never heard them use UTC in a conversation.Hi Bob,glad to talk with again at 0900z...C`MON.Thank you AA4PB.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:40:05 AM »

"I have been listening to shortwave and alot of hams for over 20 years and never heard them use UTC in a conversation.Hi Bob,glad to talk with again at 0900z...C`MON.Thank you AA4PB."

Did you have the antenna connected to the receiver?  I really cannot believe that you NEVER heard ANYONE use UTC/GMT/ZULU time in a conversation!  That statement defies all logic.
KB1THH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:49:33 AM »

James, D/L a UTC clock for your PC from here   http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/Alarms-Clocks/UTC-Clock.shtml   till you get a 24Hr clock hung on your wall set to UTC time.

Joe
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »

I'm with Dennis. I've been a ham off and on since the early 60's and have never used anything other than UTC (or ZULU, as we called it back then).

International SW stations all refer to their operating times in UTC and have done so for as long as I can remember.

About the only place local times are used is in local 2m nets.

Anyone who has been a ham or SWL for 20 years and has never heard stations use UTC hasn't been listening very closely. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »

Even WWV/WWVH gives the time in UTC....

Jim/k7unz
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 08:26:21 PM »

I am not saying it is not usful.I do not spend alot of time as a HAM operator.I have been a HAM since 1991 and probably have 3 years operation barely.I have not worked the world nor do I really set it as my goal.I have more fun listening to odd crackles and pops and data signals.The microphone is in the drawer.I just needed the time so I could listen to HAARP when it tansmitted.I really do not see a use for time unless I am going to,during and leaving work.I took offense to ,YOUR NOT A HAM.Wow.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:15:46 AM »

Here is a useful reference chart for UTC time conversions:

http://home.comcast.net/~dzabawa/UTC_TimeConversions.pdf
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 07:48:21 AM »

<< I took offense to ,YOUR NOT A HAM>>

You need to go back and re-read Phil's comment. That's not what he said.

It doesn't matter you have no plans to work the world. UTC is still the standard for listing the time for amateur radio AND commercial short wave broadcasters. In 50 years of SWLing don't remember ever hearing an SW broadcaster use anything else.

One little point - ham is not capitalized; It is not an acronym. It is simply a word.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:03:28 AM »

Some people have a real issue with my first post.Why is that?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 09:09:18 AM »

UTC is a simple time format. If it takes you seconds to figure out what time it is anywhere in the world then you've already got UTC. Just figure out the time for Greenwich, England and you have it.

Perhaps what you are objecting to is the 24 hour format rather than AM/PM (12 hour format). The military and many other professions have been using 24 hour format in order to avoid the potential error of getting the AM/PM wrong, even when they are in the same time zone.

The 24 hour format is a different issue than the UTC time zone, although UTC is generally stated in 24 hour format.

At any rate, you might as well get accustomed to it if you are going to be using amateur radio. It's been around a long time and is not likely to go away.

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 10:33:44 AM »

Some people have a real issue with my first post.Why is that?

It's because it's one of the Basics of radio operation and communication.  Unless everyone is using the same time convention, how does anyone know when a communication will occur.  You stated that you wished the experiment announcement was stated using a simple time format and it was using UTC time.

Later you state that you've been listening to SWL stations and amateur QSOs for 20 years and you NEVER heard a reference to UTC or Zulu time.

I agree with the others; I wonder what you were really listening to since those terms are always used, all the time, by everyone.  I'd just learn it and how to convert it to your own time zone and move on.  

Your case will receive no sympathy.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »

Quote:  "Your case will receive no sympathy."

Thats right. Anyone listening to any radio further away than one state is aware of UTC, Or what many still call "ZULU" time.

Simply program in 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 Mhz in to your SWL radio receiver on AM, Tune to the one that comes in best. (AND this also gives you a good idea of band conditions at that time!) And get the up to the split second UTC time. Free, And easy!

UTC is the ONLY time format to use for QSL card exchanges any further away than the neighbor kid on his FRS radio........
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: