Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antennas: Inside vs Outside  (Read 402 times)
N2BIX

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »

Since many of us cannot erect outside antennas for various reasons , i would like to hear from people who have used INSIDE antennas (wood frame houses)like dipoles on HF and also on VHF and what their results were. If possible ,to also compare with the same installation outside. Randy
KD6DXA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »

I have a similar antenna situation.  I am currently using a 50 foot run of 24 gauge bus wire from Radio Shack, as a random wire running around my apartment's ceiling, connected to an MFJ manual tuner.  I am having decent success on 20 and 40 meters CW.  I am consistently getting 559 signal reports at 25 Watts, up and down the West coast, off the antenna's broad side.  I'm not the loudest signal on the band, but I am making pleasant ragchew contacts quite regularly.  Give the indoor antenna a shot.  You have nothing to lose, and the experimenting is fun!
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »

Most any antenna will work better outside than inside, but you have to play the hand your dealt. The fact that any antenna "works" is amazing enough.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

hi randy,

2m not a problem in my hoa restricted 'hood
but I use the half square on 2m, just hang
it on the wall or in front of a window.

http://www.cebik.com/vhf/hs.html

73 james
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:58:48 AM »

In most places you can put up a TV antenna or a satellite dish outside or on top of your building, even if a HOA opposes it.  That can give you the opportunity to make a stealth outdoor ham antenna using just the "cable" or the TV antenna itself!  Something to consider, since outside ham antennas will almost always work better than indoor ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: