Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a question about the Extra exam  (Read 1064 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:29:26 AM »

Good news folks. I am studying for my extra upgrade and in looking at the information in the study book it looks like I won't be bothering you with many of the questions I have been bugging you with.
One thing that troubles me is the math. I stunk in math in high school. Memorizing formulas was the thing I just couldn't latch on to. To tell you the truth, even though I passed the tech and general tests I couldn't tell you right now what Ohm's law is. If I have a calculator with me and an explanation of whatever formula I am working with I can figure out whatever the problem is. I have heard many professors speak and EVERY one of them says that they don't require their students to memorize formulas. If I am sitting in my ham shack and a math problem arises I will just turn to the proper page in the book, whip out my trusty calculator that has all of the formulas programed into it and solve the problem.
I am not stupid, I am very resourceful and I can work through any problem you give me but having to memorize the formulas needed to pass the test makes me feel like a complete moron.
I know that the VEC's are supposed to make accommodations for disabilities. Wouldn't an inability to memorize formulas due to a strong right brain / left brain imbalance be a disability?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »

What formulas do you have to memorize for the exam?

I = E/R is a tough formula?

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star, power equals I square R..."

All sorts of ways to remember the few simple formulas in the amateur exams.

WB2WIK/6
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »

Wouldn't an inability to memorize formulas due to a strong right brain / left brain imbalance be a disability?

Only if you get a letter from your doctor.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »

I am doing pretty good though. I have a program called 5x5 ham exam and on the first 3 sections I am scoring a consistant 89-95%
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »

From Navy days:
The Indian sees the Eagle above the Rabbit (I=E/R)
The Rabbit sees the Eagle above the Indian (R=E/I)
The Eagle sees the Indian and Rabbit at the same level (E=I*R)

Write all the formulas you need on a 3X5 card. Study them for a few minutes before the test. When you go in, dispose of the card. As soon as you get the test paper, write down all the formulas you can remember before starting the test.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »

I doubt if a doctor's excuse would be accepted as I've seen nothing in the VE manuals for this type of thing.

Since you learned them once for the Tech/General, you can relearn them and others for the Extra.  You don't have to remember them forever.

Carry index cards in your pocket with the formulas and samples and study them several times a day.  Don't let your resistance to memorizing sabotage you.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »

Not that I employed this method but, If one were to fail every math related question on a given exam it would still not amount to enough wrong to fail the test. Work on what you know and study that well. Don't devote a lot of time and worry to what your are lousy at. Another tip is to also look beyond the question at the answers, which answers seem sensible ?  
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »

I can't imagine anyone flunking the dumbed down exams. These days the questions and answers are published and everything is multiple guess. No more diagrams and paragraph answers, and most don't have to drive 100 miles to a test location. As said you can miss all the math questions and still pass.

73, de Lindy
ARRL VEC
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »

I am using the study book not just the answer pool and a program called 5x5 ham exam and what I am doing is reading a chapter at a time and when I complete the chapter, I test myself in the back of the book on that chapter. Then I go to the 5x5 program and test myself on only that chapter till I get 100%. Then I add that chapter to the chapters I have already tested on in the program until I get 100% four times with all of the questions in the answer pool. Then I read the next chapter. I am also writing down all of the formulas that I run across and an explaination of how they are used. I am up to chapter 4 and I am at 100%. It is tedious but it will assure me a pass come field day. It's kind of funny though, there is a question about what happens if you fail the test. I don't know the answer to that and I don't want to know the answer because I don't plan on failing. I think that VEC's that put tests together should put that question on the second test (the one you get to take if you don't pass the first one) so that the person taking the second test will be sure to get that one right. Smiley

I don't foresee myself having any problems though. But wish me luck anyway.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »

I found with the questions dealing with lead and lag currents, reviewing the answers against the chart helped me make better sense of them.

There are some shortcuts that give you the order of magnitude and sign, which is usually enough to get by.

Hey, I took two tries before I passed.  It's supposed to be the hardest one.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »

hi Shawn,

I was taking the general exam here on eham
and noticed it was taking a lot longer then normal.
I clicked Extra instead of General !

Many of the questions overlap the other class test,
take your time and you will do just fine !

73 james
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »

WIK said:

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star, power equals I square R..."

to which I add:

"Little star up in the sky, power equals E times I."

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »

Ole Gordo says to forget the four hard ones. Just remember the phase angle question is always 14 degrees, and the larger value is always leading. I used this and only missed the four I did not try to remember.  Good luck, and just be calm.
                             Roy
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:19:23 AM »

Another tip that helped me with the general exam is; with the band allocations for the different frequencies the smaller number is the correct answer ie: if the choice is between
14.025-14.250
14.010-14.350
14.000-14.250
14.001-14.350
the correct answer would be "C"
(frequencies are made up for illustration purposes)

I think I will do O.K.. It is just so overwhelming learning new things.
WI7B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »

If you are using 5x5, taking the exams on eHam and QRZ, and trying to understand transmission line behaviour and phase angle (reactance-resistance calculation), you'll do OK.

I used a calculator and did all soluitons from scratch, but most of the OMs I've talked to said they never used a calculator on the Extra.

---* Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: