Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Special QSL Cards?  (Read 654 times)
NA0AA

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »

So given how easy it is to make up a QSL card on the computer, does anyone use 'em for specials?

I did some operation at an unusual location and made up a special card for that operation - given I needed only a couple of dozen it was not difficult or too costly - I can get 4 to a sheet and found that Draft looks as good as high quality on photo paper.

Anyway, I have a pre-printed for my home QTH but thought it would be fun to do something else for this operation.

Anyone else do this or is the QSL card a thing of the past?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »

I do that all the time.  Here is one that will be used for Field Day this year: http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc296/kg4rulphotos/FD2008_QSL_Front.jpg

Dennis Raymond Zabawa - KG4RUL
ARRL SC Section, Public Information Coordinator
Berkeley County SC ARES/RACES, Information Officer
Trident Amateur Radio Club(TARC), Charleston, SC
Community Emergency Response Team, Charleston, SC - Team C9B - Instructor
W4VEC Volunteer Examiner
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:17:07 AM »

Yes.  Just keep in mind that if your needs run to several hundred or thousands that having them printed by a QSL shop is cheaper than printing them yourself.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:26:18 AM »

I have them done at the drugstore photo booth.  Then, I trim the excess with a paper cutter so they're standard size.  I ran the numbers on that and after about 250, you're better-off having a real QSL-printer do them.  I used stick-on labels on the back of the card for QSO information.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »

Yes, I have done that as well.  After operating as ZF2FM from the Cayman Islands a few times, my card requirements did not justify a large commercial order.  I used photos from the Cayman trip, laid the details over the photos with PhotoShop and printed them on post card stock with my $99 ink jet printer.  They were very attractive and quite effective.  And, as you mention, fun to do as well.

Terry, WØFM
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »

I did this once, although it was sort of by accident. I make and print my own QSLs and I had one design that I decided I didn't want to stick with after I'd filled out only a few cards. But since those cards were for stations contacted during one of RAC's Canada contests, and since the card design featured a Canadian coin on it, I decided to use that card for all the stations worked in that contest. So it kind of became a special card for stations worked in that one contest.

Apart from that I've not yet made up any special QSLs.

I know it would probably be cheaper and easier to get card professionally printed, and I may do that someday. But I like making up my own card designs, and I tend to change my card every six months or so, so printing them myself is still preferable at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: