Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with the ARRL  (Read 1801 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

I would like to talk about one of the pieces of work that hang out on 14.275 and spend every waking hour QRMing VE7KFM. I don't have any respect for any of them and I wish they would all grow up and leave the airwaves to hams that are able to conduct themselves in an adult manor. I accidentally landed on 275 the other day due to scanning. I was taking a break from the road and I didn't even look at the display to see what frequency I was on. I heard someone talking. Then nothing for around 20 minutes. Then I heard  a Latino gentleman call cq for about a minute and got a reply. After he thanked the person for the contact, he called cq again. I replied and we qso'ed for a bit and I signed off. Then in the middle of the guy's third qso, I heard some jerk start to call cq over him. Didn't ask if the frequency was clear or anything. When asked why he didn't follow gentleman's rules of conduct, he uttered a filthy word, made a snide comment about the guys nationality and told him that with a radio as bad as his he didn't deserve to be a ham. I broke in stated my call sign and tried to defend the guy. I know I shouldn't have but it was painful to listen to. The Latino ham moved up to 277.5 and KZ8O moved over to 277.5 and started in again Walking on the guy. I then noticed where I was on the dial and moved off. I don't know why the FCC isn't more active in putting an end to this kind of nonsense and then I ran across this:
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2007/09/25/01/?nc=1

If the FCC's flag organization is going to be this irresponsible and give a piece of crap like that an atta-boy in one of their articles, it is no wonder that there are scofflaws like VE7KFM and KZ8O and K3VR and their ilk who abuse the system and get away with it. I heard the sound file where Riley Hollingsworth basically tells hams that they should just avoid 14.275 because of the antics on that frequency. This is like the chief of police telling citizens that they should just ignore crime because they have written the criminals letters and that is all they can do. The FCC needs to tighten up. The FCC has the home addresses for God's sakes. I joined this hobby because being a trucker, my first exposure to the airwaves was CB radio and it was filled with foul mouthed little children who drive trucks so I got my license. It would be nice if the FCC would clean up 14.275 before the disease spreads and ham goes the way of CB radio due to the commissions failure their jobs and the whole thing gets away from them. I would also like to see a retraction of the article I posted with that scumbag's name removed.
Thank you for putting up with my rant.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:48 AM »

"The FCC needs to tighten up. The FCC has the home addresses for God's sakes"

What they don't necessarily have is *proof* of anyone's identity.

They can't afford to stick a field agent (if they even have any such thing) 24/7 outside of someone's house to catch him QRMing and get PROOF ... if someone is spending half or three quarters of the time playing nice and making fun contacts, it's even HARDER to catch them.

Are they doing all they can?  I don't know, but I think maybe 14.275 acts like a concentrator for idiocy... an attractive place for all the B.S. to go on...

I don't like the fact that it's going on either, but I never, ever go spend time there.  I think I listened for 30 seconds once, decided I had better things to do!

I think Riley's point, and it's a good one, is to not get *sucked in* ... don't even THINK about transmitting and engaging these a-holes on the air, because tempers will flare and all of a sudden someone will be playing YOUR VOICE AND CALLSIGN as they QRM some guy near the frequency.

I'm not saying that the KZ8O QRM you heard was a recording... but they do that sort of thing to each other around there... don't get involved.

If you want to do something just silently roll a tape recorder and keep mailing 'em to the FCC.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:28:11 AM »

So you have a "beef" with the FCC but your subject title is about a problem with the ARRL.

So, the ARRL isn't involved and you don't have a problem with them?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:59:39 AM »

I'm not sure Shawn knows the difference. Sad

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, CT

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »

""What they don't necessarily have is *proof* of anyone's identity.

They can't afford to stick a field agent (if they even have any such thing) 24/7 outside of someone's house to catch him QRMing and get PROOF""
There is only a handful of them and I am pretty sure that if the top two or three get fines and get their equipment confiscated, the rest just may get the hint and stop the nonsense. I have seen pictures of these jerks and I don't think one of them has a job or looks like anyone would hire them to even flip hamburgers so a loss of a few hundred thousand dollars of equipment would be quite a setback.

KB9CRY--
My beef is with both. I posted the thread because one of the biggest contributors to the crap was named as a good guy in an ARRL article.

and

W3LK--
Yes, I know the difference. If you read my post you would see that I said "the FCC and IT'S flag organization, the ARRL".
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »

You would be surprised at what the FCC does with enforcement. Sometimes it takes time to get the recordings and transmitter signature but in the end a whole lot of the dirt bags wish they had never seen a transmitter. Get to know your OO and work with them when a problem comes up. We are a self regulating service, so if you don't help, you are part of the problem.

73, de Lindy  
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »

<< "the FCC and IT'S flag organization, the ARRL".>>

The League is not an FCC organization; it's an amateur radio organization. Your statement is why I said I don't think you know the difference.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, CT

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 05:50:37 AM »

"If you read my post you would see that I said "the FCC and IT'S flag organization, the ARRL"."

I DID read your post and here's what it stated:

"If the FCC's flag organization is going to be this irresponsible and give a piece of crap like that an atta-boy in one of their articles,"

The word ARRL is not included.  You may have thought that but that's not what you wrote.  I'd say you should be emailing Riley directly and not spouting off here if you're so passionate about this "problem".
WG2Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »

The 14.275 debacle is a real problem. Not only with our Canadian friends but also the US contingency. How did all of this start anyway ? Who was the jerk who started with the language and behavior. And who were the people who encouraged this to go on by antagonizing and encouraging this behavior. I guess we have idiots on both sides of the border.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: