Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Travel  (Read 442 times)
CX7AF

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »

Hello!
 I am CX7AF located in Montevideo city (Uruguay), and I am planning a "radio travel" across South, Center and North América.
 My idea is to equip a van as portable home and radio-station and make a radio tour, take up contests and activations in the way.
 I appreciate some help and advices about this project, mainly about procedures, migration, permission, sponsors, etc.
 Thanks from: Luis/CX7AF.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »

You will almost certainly need specific permission from each country through which you travel for operating any radio equipment, for starters.  You will have to find out what each country requires as far as licensing, band plan, power allowed, and many other things.

Buena suerte!

Pat

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:28:33 AM »

Pick up an 11 meter CB for travel through the US.  You can get lots of info and directions from truckers who use them on the road.  You can get one for only around $30 US on Amazon.com
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:11:41 AM »

VHF/UHF in the US is very spotty.  In some parts of the country, you just don't get much traffic.  I would get a dualbander to monitor the weather (The national weather radio is in the 162MHz range).  The repeater directory is online and also printed in a paper-back.

I might consider using HF here in the states.  It seems that you can always find someone to talk to on HF, whereas with VHF/UHF its not that common.

You might also look at some of the cities you will be visiting here in the US and make note of ARES network schedules.  Ours here in Omaha is open and we actually make a point of inviting people who are traveling through to check in to our net (Sunday nights 9pm Central- (Monday 0200 UTC)).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: