Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any thoughts on air travel?  (Read 477 times)
NS5M

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

Headed for KH6 in a few weeks, and plan to play radio while there.

Wire and wand antennas will be in a checked bag; K1, paddle & other expensive (or benign) stuff in carryon, but how about SLA battery? Power supply?

I'd appreciate any ideas/experiences you may have had.

Jim N5VT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »

A small switching PS will be no problem, but you will have a problem, most likely, with the battery. If you want to stay with battery power, I'd pick up one after you arrive.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »

Yeah, use the power supply and not the SLA battery.  I just got back from KH6 a few weeks ago; but, I didn't have any time to play radio.  I was carrying two laptops and an external hard drive.  The TSA inspector at OGG made me dump it all out so he could have a look at the hard drive.

People were pretty tense since that was the week that Aloha and ATA failed...fortunately, I was on AA.
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »

Thanks to you both for good information. Looks like I'll either be charging a bunch of NiMH AA's or buying an SLA there & donating it to a local radio club. I do plan on working some from the condo with the power supply, but intend on some serious KH6/N5VT/Beach-chair as well.

Jim N5VT

KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »

If you are going to be in Honolulu on a Saturday, try finding batteries at the swap meet at the Aloha bowl.  I was there last time I was in HI.  

I swear, you could almost buy anything there.  Certainly a great place for any extra suitcases you need or souveniers.
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:09:47 AM »

Thanks for the clue, but (thank heaven!) we're avoiding both DFW and HNL on this trip - OKC to Phoenix and then non-stop to Kona (Big Island).

For those interested, SLA batteries are indeed verboten as "hazardous materials", confirmed by a couple of TSA folks on a travel site.

Revised plan still holds - the PS wherever I can, otherwise either AA's or a locally-bought SLA.  

Thanks all,
Jim N5VT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: